Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good games/apps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

Smile Good games/apps

Hey all, I know theres loads of apps and games on Ubuntu, I was just wondering whats your selection of favourites?

Beans

Re: Good games/apps

Depends on what you're into. The package sgt-puzzles has some fantastic logic puzzles. I'm addicted to the game Inertia from this package.

If you're more into first person shooters, you can try all of the following:

• Sauerbraten - Great, very fast-paced FPS built on the Cube2 engine. Has a fantastic map editing system.
    • Nexuiz - Fast-paced deathmatch style FPS.

Battle for Wesnoth is kind of the very definition of "open source RTS", and is a lot of fun to play if you're into that kind of thing. It's got some good single-player campaigns and a great LAN/WAN multiplayer mode. Graphics are 2D, and if you're a hardcore gamer, that may turn you off, but it doesn't make the game any less fun. (Think early Warcraft games.)

Another RTS that I had some fun with for a while was Warzone 2100, although I seem to remember encountering a few bugs.

There are also some really good games that aren't in the repos, aren't open source, and may cost you a few bucks from their independent producers/distributers, but are worth the cost. The Penumbra series (http://www.penumbragame.com/) are very cool horror/adventure games. World of Goo (http://www.worldofgoo.com/) is a wonderful casual puzzle game with a native Linux port.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Battle For Wesnoth v1.8 simply stellar gameplay and will waste hours if not days of your life. its like chess on steroids

another good one is lincity, obvious port of the old simcity games

billiard gl is a great pool sim

saurbraten is good too, a little to fast for me (i perfer halo paced shooters)

and with Wine you can play a great number of windows games ( i play wow, sins of a solar empire, and america's army 3)

so hopefully this will get you started, and remember, with python and pygame you could always make the next freeware hit!

Beans

Under wine, Oblivion, Dragons Age, Starcraft II and Civilization IV and V.

Without wine, the Uq-Quan master and OpenArena.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by harrylucas1 View Post
    Hey all, I know theres loads of apps and games on Ubuntu, I was just wondering whats your selection of favourites?

Newer: World of Goo, Osmosis.
    Older: Beneath a steel sky!

Beans
    Hidden!

i waste my time with nexuiz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

yeah ive played nexuiz.. pretty dull.
    just like to add i do use wine and i'm running 64 bit! so if i were to download unreal tournament as an ISO, could I just mount then install with wine?

Beans

Dwarf Fortress is the most amazing game ever. Fact.

If you can get over the learning curves that is. ;)
    http://xkcd.com/293/
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who confuse it with binary.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Try installing ubuntu-tweak, it's package repository is full of great games and lots of other apps: ubuntu-tweak.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

Quote Originally Posted by Crazedpsyc View Post
    Try installing ubuntu-tweak, it's package repository is full of great games and lots of other apps: ubuntu-tweak.com
    Thanks, never heard it before, i'll give it a go

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast