Thread: Can see Desktop but nothing runs...

Beans

Can see Desktop but nothing runs...

Hey All!!

Did a quick scan of threads and hope I am not duplicating....

Had a crash - I suspect MB or even the PSU. Not able to change either just yet. Disk has:

sda1 = XP
    sda2 = Mint (trying it out)
    sda6 = U10.04LTS.

I can boot into Mint but with 10.04, I only get to the point where KDE's wallet asks for my password. I cannot enter anything. Mouse works, the terminals that were open in the last session remain visible but blank plus I can restart and log off easily enough. I cannot though start new programmes.

Booting into failsafe on low graphics is ok. I suspect maybe GPU might be upset or the drivers are.

So, repaired broken packages and even tried older kernels. Zip benefits. No further progress.

Any thoughts, hints and ideas would be most welcomed! Otherwise, I am stuck and will loose my saves in MineCraft - they were just starting to look awesome too!!! (Unless you can help me copy them as well? But that's a lower priority)

Waiting patiently...and using my server for this!! Otherwise Mint will be run up to full operational status without me really giving it a good test drive. I wanna stick with Ubuntu!!!

{UPDATE}
    It seems that if I open say GIMP, it won't but come back 15 minutes later, it has opened the image. If I load a *.giff, then the actions of the character are very slow. I suspect something is eating the CPU's time but I cannot get into Terminal to ask. System Monitor is still trying to open. Ideas? More as it develops!! J

John

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Last edited by OzRattler; October 27th, 2010 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Update