Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't like Unity, how do I make Gnome the default

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I don't like Unity, how do I make Gnome the default

Hello everybody

I have a netbook running the 10.10 UNE. I don't like the changes to the desktop (Unity). Today I read on the net that Canonical plans to make this the default on both the netbook edition and the regular desktop edition. I don't like it, I liked when it was all Gnome.

I don't know how to SAFELY remove or disable Unity and make my netbook desktop be GNOME. Can somebody here walk me through it ? Its an Acer netbook with 2gig of ram, running 10.10.

I thank you in advance
    Eddie Colon
    Raleigh,NC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: I don't like Unity, how do I make Gnome the default

on the login screen click ur name and at the bottom of the screen just left of the middle there is menu with items ubuntu desktop edition, ubuntu netbook remix, UNR 2d, ..., choose Ubuntu desktop edition and it will give you standard gnome.

Beans

Sadly it doesn't work. Whatever the session type I choose, it starts the unity launcher. It seems there is no way of switching back to normal desktop session.

Worse, if I uninstall unity, I get a white screen without any desktop environment loaded.

Beans

If you want just regular gnome, you could download the ubuntu desktop iso and install that instead

or

Looks like it's back to 10.04 netbook while this gets sorted out...

or

Lubuntu (for lower system requirements) which lets you log into a netbook interface session.

tried Leeenux v4 (based on ubuntu netbook, made specially for eee netbooks) too, works great, but current updates break it. (wonder if the v4.5 will come out?)
    Last edited by Jack Brown; October 28th, 2010 at 05:29 PM.

Beans

i read it myself yesterday and he said you cant change it but need choose a diff distro

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Why not just re-install the ubuntu-desktop meta package, if choosing gnome-desktop from the sessions menu doesn't work for you?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I tried a live boot of netbook Unity, and surfed the web on this new interface. I think they put it out to soon. It is not ready for prime time. I'll be staying at 10.04 for a while.
    Old HP-UX guy.... New Linux guy....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Why not just re-install the ubuntu-desktop meta package, if choosing gnome-desktop from the sessions menu doesn't work for you?
    I already tried re-installing ubuntu-desktop, but no matter what, I end up in a unity session.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Philonimbus View Post
    I already tried re-installing ubuntu-desktop, but no matter what, I end up in a unity session.
    Instead of installing ubuntu-desktop install gnome-desktop-environment and simply add on. If you want even more lightness, try gnome-core.
    Linux User #449629

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Got to agree, I was a great fan of desktop remix, and run other desktop machines on Ubuntu. If this is the shape of things to come I will sadly have to reconsider which distribution to use. Glad I cloned my system before the upgrade, I'm going back to 10.04

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast