Thread: Cannot reconnect Ubuntu box to home LAN.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cannot reconnect Ubuntu box to home LAN.

A few months ago I built a box for a friend and installed 9.04 on it. I used my existing home LAN/internet connection to access updates and the like. There were no network issues at the time.

Now, my friend has brought this box back so I could update software and hardware but his system no longer can connect to mine. In fact, it can't even see my network. (Yes, it was working at his home.)

I've swapped cables, cable locations in the router, swapped out network cards...no luck. The onboard and PCI network cards did light up when plugged in. The idiot light on the router shows a connection as well but there is no data being transferred. As well, the router doesn't see the computer. I've also tried manually changing the network settings on the Ubuntu box but I'm not able to "Okay" anything.

I tried using a 10.04 demo disk but no luck there either. This is weird because I've never had an issue like this before.

Does anyone have a solution in mind?

Beans

Re: Cannot reconnect Ubuntu box to home LAN.

I am having the same problem with my router as well, I can acess only the wifi for it, I reset to default on the router but out of a home server and 3 desktops none will connect only wifi devices like my laptop, usb and iphone can connect and get internet.

I have had the router (dlink) for about 10 months and I am thinking maybe to get another router instead and have something more reliable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Cannot reconnect Ubuntu box to home LAN.

Strangely, these boxes were successfully used on the my home LAN as a dual boot XP/9.04 system. I modified the one box in particular, reformatted the HDD and installed 10.04 only...no dual boot. No network was discovered during the installation and I can't seem to get it going now that the system is up and running.

Is it possible the v10.04 is missing drivers for the onboard network card?
    Last edited by Ian-on-the-Trent; October 28th, 2010 at 04:05 PM. Reason: typos