Thread: Switching the networks

Beans

Switching the networks

Hello, guys. I installed the new ubuntu a couple of days ago on my PC here. My problem is that I got several networks here at my working place, which I want to connect to alternately. What I do now is, that I go to the network connections each time, select the network I want to connect to, set its connection setting to "automatically connect" and restart my PC. But that is quite annoying.

So, what would be an appropriate way to achieve my goal? I tried the network manager, but in the current version it does not provide the necessery functionality.

BR
    Ewgenij

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Switching the networks

You are talking about switching wireless networks? Can't you just select the one you want by right clicking on the network indicator?
    Never upgrade your working system to the newest release without thorough testing on the actual hardware you will be running it on.
    Never perform a system update in a live session
    Installed Ubuntu Touch 1.0 on my Nexus 7. And loving it!

Beans

Hi, no, its not about wireless. Its about the usual LAN. I have different network cables here. Each cable is connected with its own network. I pull one cable out of the LAN-Port of my PC and put another one in.

As I said, for each network I have an own IP/TCP configuration. So, its only about switching between them. And it is quite annoying to restart each time...
    Last edited by Ewgenijkkg; October 26th, 2010 at 07:49 AM.

Beans

You could add more network adapters to the machine and have full-time connectivity to all the networks. Hopefully their address spaces don't overlap.

You would need to make sure your computer didn't become a router. By default IP packets aren't forwarded on Ubuntu machines, and you can reinforce the policy with some additional rules to the iptables FORWARD chain if you're still concerned.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

try doing
    Code:
    # sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
    from a terminal instead of rebooting.

Confirm it has the settings by doing an ifconfig.
    What's the point of a window if it can't be opened

Beans

OK, I will try Why doesn't it work with the network manager? I saw tutorials on the ubuntu site, where the network manager was able to switch between the networks "sites" on the fly. However, in the manager package I downloaded from ubuntu a couple of days ago, the functionality was not present!