Thread: Get older version of rsync

Beans

Get older version of rsync

Hey,

I'm trying to sync a folder from a remote server to my computer, when I try to connect with rsync I'm prompted for a password, then get the following error,

protocol version mismatch -- is your shell clean?
    (see the rsync man page for an explanation)
    rsync error: protocol incompatibility (code 2) at compat.c(173) [Receiver=3.0.7]

I'm thinking (and please correct me if I'm wrong here) this is because I'm have rsync version 3.0.7 on my computer and the server has version 2.6.8.

I can't do anything about the server's version, so how do I downgrade rsync on my computer to version 2.6.8? Also, is doing this a really bad idea?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Get older version of rsync

No, that's not the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by man rsync
    rsync occasionally produces error messages that may seem a little cryptic. The one that seems to cause the most confusion is "protocol version mismatch — is your shell clean?".

This message is usually caused by your startup scripts or remote shell facility producing unwanted garbage on the stream that rsync is using for its transport. The way to diagnose this problem is to run your remote shell like this:

Code:
    ssh remotehost /bin/true > out.dat
    then look at out.dat. If everything is working correctly then out.dat should be a zero length file. If you are getting the above error from rsync then you will probably find that out.dat contains some text or data. Look at the contents and try to work out what is producing it. The most common cause is incorrectly configured shell startup scripts (such as .cshrc or .profile) that contain output statements for non-interactive logins.

Beans

Re: Get older version of rsync

Turns out I don't have shell access on the server, so ends that dream. Thank for the help!