Thread: Airport extreme connection issues

Beans

Airport extreme connection issues

For some time now my household has been a Mac and Ubuntu household, and we have an Airport extreme (with no internal hard drive, but a USB drive connected to it) that serves as a wifi network and drive sharing tool. More so with 11.04, but also to a degree with 12.04, my Ubuntu laptop will continually disconnect from the wifi, making surfing the net impossible.

However, this problem is erratic, coming and going at random times. It doesn't happen on any other wifi networks, and connecting via Ethernet to the Airport works without interruption.

This might not belong in this thread, my laptop is a dell, but it's an issue that only comes about when using an apple product, so I don't know, btu anyway, thanks for any and all help

--

Beans

Re: Airport extreme connection issues

I, too have an airport extreme and have run into this problem sporadically. I run both Ubuntu 12.04 and OS X 10.7.4 wirelessly on my laptops. This problem has occurred whether I'm running OS X or Unbuntu, and it does not matter which laptop. I have two Dells (Inspiron 1525 & 3 month old XPS 17" - L702X), an early 2008 black MacBook and a mid-2011 MacBook Pro 13". It is probably the airport extreme router. I have updated the firmware the last time there was an update for the router. The problem has only occurred once or twice, since. It may be the router. Be sure that you are running the latest version of firmware.

Hope that helps.

Beans

I have a quick question for you then: when did you start experiencing your issues? because I've been using the same router for a good three years now (I think), and I haven't had this issue on Macs or Windows machines, only my Ubuntu computer. It also seems to vary a little with what version of Ubuntu I run, with 12.04 and 10.11 it's not terrible, but 11.04 and 10.04 it was bad.

nonetheless, I'll try and update my router, thanks for the help.

--

Beans

I bought my router last fall. The problem seems to happen more often with Unbuntu (but not often enough to be annoying) but will occur once in a while when I'm running OS X on the older MacBook. It has only happened once or twice with the MacBook Pro, which does not have Unbuntu on it, same with the Dell L702X which has only Ubuntu 12.04 on it.

I agree, it was worse with 11.10 and has only happened a couple of times with 12.04. Once, because I had my cell phone near the wireless antenna on the 1525. That was weird. Both the 2008 MacBook and the Dell 1525 have the same wireless card. That may be part of the issue.

Anyway, it does not happen often enough, and nothing that a reboot does not fix, to be annoying.