Thread: Memory scan on CD?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Memory scan on CD?

One of the things I found really handy about the Live Ubuntu CDs is they had the option to run a memory scan on the computer. As the head of an IT department of one person in charge of maintaining 60 computers, that capability has helped me more than twice.

I think the options when running off CD/USB were Install Ubuntu, Test Ubuntu, run a memory scan, or boot off the harddrive. However, starting with Lucid and continuing with Maverick, the only options on the Live CD/USB seem to be install or try (although the memory scan is available on my Grub menu after Ubuntu is installed, unfortunately, most of the computers I am responsible for at work are Windows only).

Is there a way to start the memory scan when running a Live Lucid or Maverick CD/USB?
    ----
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Linux user # 384496
    Ubuntu user # 15390

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Memory scan on CD?

You could use the live cd of the version that had the mem test

but it's very possible I'm missing the point
    Perseverance will succeed (usually)
    ubuntu user -32597 - linux user - 526569
    Wireless Info Script
    Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

On the LiveCD (desktop edition), when it starts to boot, hold down the left shift key. You will then be presented with a "boot:" prompt. Enter 'memtest' and hit return. This will start the usual memory test. Alternatively, wait for the screen color to change to brown, then hit return, which will bring up the list of options instead of autobooting.

If you use the Alternate CD or the Server CD, you will be presented with a list of options including the memory test.
    Last edited by gmargo; October 22nd, 2010 at 08:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Hippytaff View Post
    You could use the live cd of the version that had the mem test

but it's very possible I'm missing the point
    Actually, that is what I have been doing, but I've gotten used to using LiveUSB (rather than a LiveCD), and I didn't feel like buying a new flash drive just to carry an old version of Ubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by gmargo View Post
    On the LiveCD (desktop edition), when it starts to boot, hold down the left shift key. You will then be presented with a "boot:" prompt. Enter 'memtest' and hit return. This will start the usual memory test. Alternatively, wait for the screen color to change to brown, then hit return, which will bring up the list of options instead of autobooting.

If you use the Alternate CD or the Server CD, you will be presented with a list of options including the memory test.
    Thanks! I figured there was a way, but I couldn't figure it out.
    ----
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Linux user # 384496
    Ubuntu user # 15390