Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HP Slate 500 Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

HP Slate 500 Ubuntu

HP just came out with a tablet pc http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...0-4332585.html
    I am very interested in it, but would like to stay open source... any chance it will work on ubuntu? How do most tablets connect their touchscreen, a USB HID perhaps? I would be willing to help develop Ubuntu for the slate 500. It just sounds like a cool device to me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HP Slate 500 Ubuntu

In hardware terms, it's just a generic netbook with touchscreen instead of keyboard.
    The touchscreen could give you some trouble, but it seems to be a priority for the developers. And yes, it's a USB device, but not HID. Theres a specific touchscreen driver for that.
    What? I'm not allowed to say fsck? Then how is i supposed to help people fix their filesystems?

Beans
    Distro

And yes, it's a USB device, but not HID. Theres a specific touchscreen driver for that.
    How good are the Ubuntu touchscreen drivers and its general support of these features? Even though I run Linux on everything I'm a complete stranger to touch-screens especially on Linux.

Thanks

Beans

the touch screen seams to be a N-trig and there is a N-trig driver for ubuntu (https://launchpad.net/~utouch-team/+archive/utouch)

Beans
    Distro

Well its great that there is some support for touchscreens, now if I buy a tablet I'll feel much better about using it with Ubuntu if Windows 7 is as bad as I expect. Thanks for the help!

Beans
    Distro

Will you post on here if/when you actually try Ubuntu on the Slate? I would love to look at these for my field guys; a tablet like this could be realistic for filing out forms, whereas laptops tend to intimidate clients and netbooks are somewhat impracticle.

Beans

We just got the slate for testing at work. I tried to run 10.10 netbook version from a usb thumbdrive. I get the following message when booting on it.

(initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system

the boot process halts at this point. Any help is appreciated.

PS i am very noob on ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

Hi, so I was wondering if you could bring up windows and get to the device manager to tell us what type of drive controller was being used?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jkayner View Post
    We just got the slate for testing at work. I tried to run 10.10 netbook version from a usb thumbdrive. I get the following message when booting on it.

(initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system

the boot process halts at this point. Any help is appreciated.

PS i am very noob on ubuntu.
    I have a HP slate too and am trying with Ubuntu 11.04 alpha 2. I was getting the same error you had and I reformatted my USB drive, downloaded the latest unetbootin, and re-created the USB drive and it will get to grub but Ubuntu won't load. It keeps dumping me off to a command prompt with no error message.

I will follow this thread so if anyone has something they want me to try or get information for I will gladly help.

I am trying to get it to load with the alternate CD too but so far haven't had any luck.

I just tried again with the alternate install CD and it looks like it hangs when it tries to detect the installation "cd". I also tried burning a CD and plugging it in with a USB CD drive but the BIOS would never detect the USB cd drive as a boot device.
    Last edited by rothgar; February 4th, 2011 at 10:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro

What kind of command lines does it leave you at? Is it a real Ubuntu one or some limited thing. If its a real command line its probably a video card/driver problem.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast