Thread: My first question (I think it's an easy one)

Beans

Unhappy My first question (I think it's an easy one)

Hey everyone. Love Ubuntu!! Last time I ran Linux I had to try and figure out how to get my win modem working ... I was a newbie, never knew win modems did not work in Linux at that time...it was a frustrating 9 months...my buddies laughed their asses off when I told em I got it dialling the first 6 numbers....anyways thats not whta this is about, it's just that my last experience with Linux was a bit different than the Ubuntu experience. Ubuntu is MUCH, MUCH better, everything just works...lol

Ok the question:

I got grey text areas (sometimes whole websites) firefox. For example, if I go to gmail and compose a new mail, the place to enter the email address is black text/white background as is the subject ine area. However, the body of the email is Grey text/white background. There is no ryhme or reason to when the dreaded "grey text" will appear. It is quite random (apparently). For example, the text box for this question is black text/white background, as it shuld be. But then, theres the google problem.

As near as I can tell this is a Firefox/Linux issue as I have used Windows Vista (dual booting) to display the same web pages in Firefox with no ill effects. And google works as it should when running firefox in Windows Vista.

Ok running Lucid 10.04 I beleive is the version, firefox 3.6.11 and metacity WM.

One other minor issue I have is Meta City sometimes loses it's settings as pertains to button placement and order. I have place my WM buttons on the right-side in exact same order as Winblows apps (min,max,close:menu on the right)but every once in a while when I log in my window dressings and buttons have reverted to the default of ubuntu (buttons on left with the default window dressings -human? or some such thing?

I simply run metacity --replace and all is well again but it is getting somewhat annoying. Any ideas?

Thanks Everyone!!

Ubuntu rocks!!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: My first question (I think it's an easy one)

try disabling your firefox addons, see if it clears up

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: My first question (I think it's an easy one)

Are you sharing your firefox profile in a common NTFS data file?

That way I have the same settings & bookmarks. Just some addins are not compatible but firefox just ignores those on which ever system I have booted?

http://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/Profiles
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile

UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.