Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you still have Windows/Mac installed?

Reokie is offline Ubuntu Green Coffee Beans
    Beans

How many of you still have Windows/Mac installed?

There are a few threads that ask if people have completely dropped windows and went to Ubuntu, but what about those who didn't? Some of us still have some need for windows, for one program or another that wont work in wine. This also goes to Mac users. I haven't heard ,much from them either!

I am 5% away from purging Vista from my machine ATM, but there are just some games that I NEED, that don't work in WINE. Though, I have shrunken my Vista parition in favor of Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How many of you still have Windows/Mac installed?

I was solely Linux for a long while until I tried OS X. Now, I have 2 computers running Linux, and the Mac runs OS X.

Beans

I still have Windows/Ubuntu (dual boot) installed on my PC. But only have Ubuntu 10.4 installed on my laptop!

Beans

I have 2 HTPC's with Mythbuntu 10.04, and my laptop runs Ubuntu 10.10 and windows 7. The only reason I boot into windows is for steam, which sadly is every night.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have Windows XP on a partition. I'm not going to switch to one single OS any time soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi Reokie,

I'm pretty new to this, i started with my vista laptop on 10.04, trouble is once you get used to the speed of Ubuntu internet and boot up/shut down windows just seems to take an eternity especially Vista, it's pants!, so i formatted the drive the loaded 10.10 meerkat last week, it runs amazingly using a Belkin N1 express 34 network card cost just a tenner and works like a dream.

on my other PC which is XP I am dual booting as it's my work from home PC and my Juniper network remote login only takes internet explorer (although i haven't tried opera yet). i'd love to ditch microsoft for good but work commitments unless anyone knows a work around for a stable way to run through Ubuntu.

However XP behaves very well with dual boot and is my fav windows product, mines stripped right down to make as fast as poss, the machine is like a rocket, recently upgraded and runs five fans, 3 hard drives and loads of ram. Vista was a pain with a dual boot and constantly crashed.

my other prob that stops me going over on XP system is can't configure my network cards to work.

Beans

Just my laptop has Ubuntu on it. The other three computers (two other laptops and a really crappy and old desktop) have Windows. We're probably never going to get a Mac as we cannot afford one.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I have got a Windows Server 2008 (Dreamspark License) in one of my partitions. However I barely use it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I have Windows 7 64 bit and Maverick 64 bit. My son plays games that require Directx 10 and the games he plays won't run under wine.
    We have tried. Then the wife is used to windows and has to keep up with it for her job. I also want to keep up with Windows in order to help
    friends with problems from time to time. So, I will keep my dual boot system.

I have to tell you that Windows 7 is so much better than Vista though it is pathetic! I was able to pre order Windows 7 before it came out.
    My son found a link for it and I got home premium 64 bit for about $50! When you have multiple users, like I have always had on XP and then
    Vista and now Windows 7, Windows 7 is the only one that separates the users very well. With the others including Vista what you did on
    one user affected the other users. But, Windows 7 keeps users separately very well.

Enough about Windows! I do really love Ubuntu though and it boots up in about 1/5 of the time Windows 7 does!

And if you are dual or tri-booting, take a look at the tutorial in my signature. I have windows as the default and every time a new kernel
    was added, I would have to edit grub and change the default line number. A friend on here told me how to make grub2 so it is permanent
    and maintenance free. I may have gotten a bit too wordy on it, but if you just follow the directions, you can have a nice background for grub2
    and never have to mess with it again. If you default to the top line, you might not be interested, but then again, you can check it out. There
    is a couple of example pics at the bottom - one with the default font, which is pretty small on a large background and the other is after
    the font has been added.

Reokie is offline Ubuntu Green Coffee Beans
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nickster74 View Post
    Hi Reokie,

I'm pretty new to this, i started with my vista laptop on 10.04, trouble is once you get used to the speed of Ubuntu internet and boot up/shut down windows just seems to take an eternity especially Vista, it's pants!, so i formatted the drive the loaded 10.10 meerkat last week, it runs amazingly using a Belkin N1 express 34 network card cost just a tenner and works like a dream.

on my other PC which is XP I am dual booting as it's my work from home PC and my Juniper network remote login only takes internet explorer (although i haven't tried opera yet). i'd love to ditch microsoft for good but work commitments unless anyone knows a work around for a stable way to run through Ubuntu.

However XP behaves very well with dual boot and is my fav windows product, mines stripped right down to make as fast as poss, the machine is like a rocket, recently upgraded and runs five fans, 3 hard drives and loads of ram. Vista was a pain with a dual boot and constantly crashed.

my other prob that stops me going over on XP system is can't configure my network cards to work.
    Yes! The almost non-existent boot times on Ubuntu left me speechless! That, including the speed of launching programs AND the shutdown times! When my old desktop had XP, it was a dream, everything worked on it and it was very stable, when the motherboard burnt out, I got this laptop with Vista. It only took one week for me to yearn for good ol' XP again. There are just some games that run on some proprietary windows system files that force me to keep it on my system

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast