Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Media (UPnP/DLNA) setup on a Linux/Android home

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Media (UPnP/DLNA) setup on a Linux/Android home

I am getting a bit frustrated since I've been spending days to setup a multimedia network at home. My friends have Sonos, playing music all around their house with a remote control.. I have 3x Linux based laptops and 2x Androids (wife and me) and I cannot believe that it's impossible to create a Sonos like setup with Linux?!

To start with, the setup has to use UPnP/DLNA and a 1) media server 2) media controller and 3) media renderer. The Androids should be the media renderers. For this, a very nice app exists called AndroMote. The problem is finding both a media server and renderer supporting this!

XBMC is the only one I've found which AndroMote detects as a UPnP server but XBMC completely clogs my 5 year old laptop since it is also a media player with a almost 3D interface - so the fan is spinning like loud as a helicopter as long as XBMC is running. Although I have to give XBMC credit for good support and active development - they even have a very good Android remote app - but the idea of "one ring to bind them" is not that of XBMC.

Then there is Firefly - promising but not detected by AndroMote.

PS3 media server had problems too.

Then there are tons of others (Rygel, forked DAAPd, miniDLNA, Servioo, MediaTomb...) but how the heck should the amateur me have time to try all these to see if they work with AndroMote?

So I am getting a bit frustrated, seeing my friends with Sonos and Apple just plugging in their systems and running... is this mission impossible?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Media (UPnP/DLNA) setup on a Linux/Android home

I'm trying to do the same thing. I have MediaTomb up and running that AndroMote sees and connects to. However, I'm having trouble with a Media Renderer. Also, why does AndroMote download entire items to the phone to try and play them rather than streaming? I don't get it and I can't find an alternative to AndroMote.

Beans

No. Just get a Squeezebox setup

Or fill your house with fit-pc2/Plug computers.... and then run like MPD.

I would really go with the Squeezebox, it has a decent DAC aswell.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Munk3y View Post
    I'm trying to do the same thing. I have MediaTomb up and running that AndroMote sees and connects to. However, I'm having trouble with a Media Renderer. Also, why does AndroMote download entire items to the phone to try and play them rather than streaming? I don't get it and I can't find an alternative to AndroMote.
    I am trying out MediaTomb. According to AndroMote site there are no options for us Linux users but XBMC as media renderer. That's completely impossible on my 5-7 year old (almost recycled!) laptops... I would kill for compatibility with Rhytmbox/Banshee. Why doesn't it just click with the UPnP plugin, isn't that what UPnP was made for??

Beans

I am a little confused on what you are asking for...

So there is 3 parts to UPnP (MediaRenderer,MediaServer,Control Point), what device do you want to do what?

Where are you trying to play from?
    Where are you trying to push media too

You can use Twonky on android, and it will work as a server, and I think you can renderer to it locally.

Edit, sorry I read your post again
    To start with, the setup has to use UPnP/DLNA and a 1) media server 2) media controller and 3) media renderer. The Androids should be the media renderers. For this, a very nice app exists called AndroMote. The problem is finding both a media server and renderer supporting this!
    I will check out AndroMote,

As for a media Server, try ushare

you also could try Twonky, but it cost money

Edit #2

AndroMote is a mediarenderer and control point built in one. I had it streaming off my tversity app on my windows box in about 5 minutes

Let me know, I will try to help you.
    Last edited by tonyscha; October 27th, 2010 at 05:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Thank you Tonyshca, every input here is golden.

I have now tried out Mediatomb, AndroMote can see the server and list the files but stops while trying to play. Next I am trying out Ampache
    http://ampache.org/

but it seems from the AndroMote website only XBMC is actually supported so I don't have high hopes.

I am hoping to make this work with Rhythmbox plugins and a remote app for the Android but if that fails too I am giving up this trial project. Seems Linux in 2010 just isn't up to the Sonos "multiroom play and control" yet

Beans

Hi dabbi,

I'm in exactly the same predicament as you - frustrated that android can't tell a computer to play some music with the only simple solution to buy custom hardware; it just seems ridiculous. Did you ever have success?

I've posted on a couple of forums and someone has recommended squeeze commander, the interface seems good and I think the guy that wrote it had our frustration too. It does integrate with these 'squeezebox' devices it seems to simply be a convenience feature since there is an open source server that can be installed in linux.

Cheers,

James

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Hi James,
    no I haven't found anything unfortunately. But it's been 3 months and Android is becoming ever more popular. Something just has to happen, I'm green of envy of my friends who do this from the box with their Apple stuff!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Hi James,
    no I haven't found anything unfortunately. But it's been 3 months and Android is becoming ever more popular. Something just has to happen, I'm green of envy of my friends who do this from the box with their Apple stuff!

Beans

Not sure if this is what your looking for http://code.google.com/p/remuco/ should work with most mediaplayers for linux

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast