Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Get the Canon Pixma MP495 working in 10.10 (Maverick)

Beans

Re: Get the Canon Pixma MP495 working in 10.10 (Maverick)

While searching for the printers IP address, it wasn't detecting it.
    I figured this was because I had it setup with windows.

But, after reading the online-manual I discovered that you can reset all wireless settings in the printer by going to the "t" looking letter (the one after the G-shaped letter) and pressing Color.

This will reset all previous settings related to the wi-fi, in the printer.
    I was then able to detect the printer with IPscan.

Just posting this if anyone else experienced the same problem.

Beans

Thank you, I was able to scan with the pixma495 on Ubuntu 11.04 using these instructions.
    My only problem is that the scanner only works with scangearmp, which does not work well on the eee-pc-900 1024x600 pixels screen.
    On every click the program switches between the top half and the bottom half of the dialog. Hitting the "scan" button must be done by guessing where it is going to be after the click. This also makes dragging a box to define the scan area impossible, but full-page scanning works, so I just crop it in Gimp.

Beans

hi all!

very informative thread--i have managed to get the printer working in precise-lts, but i cannot get the scanner to recognize. upon entering the scangearmp command in the terminal--i receive this morsel of joy:
    "Cannot find available scanners. Cable may be disconnected or scanner may be turned off. Check the scanner status and then try again."

While I'm not really that much of a noob when it comes to ubuntu, i'm still learning the ropes in command based procedures.

I desperately need some help, guys!

thanx in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Mine did the same thing. When you click away from that dialog, a second came up for me that allowed me to click "find scanners" I did that and it detected my scanner and I was able to scan.

Edit: The option that you want is "Update Scanner List"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by venator260 View Post
    Mine did the same thing. When you click away from that dialog, a second came up for me that allowed me to click "find scanners" I did that and it detected my scanner and I was able to scan.

Edit: The option that you want is "Update Scanner List"
    Have done that already, and it still does not detect the scanner. Is there a chance that the driver is installed in a not-so-kosher location? I've followed all of the terminal commands.

Beans

Thank you for information on ppd (Grayscale).
    Really great thread

Beans

Hi,

Unable to get Canon MP495 scanner to work in Ubuntu 12.04. I installed the scanner drivers as per your instructions. Installation went fine, but scanner won't work. Here's what happens after executing "scangearmp" in the terminal window.

A ScanGear notice window pops up informing me that ScanGear cannot find scanners.
    I click ok.
    Another window called "Select Scanner" pops up.
    I click "Update Scanner List".
    ScanGear searches for scanners for some time, then times-out saying it can not find available scanners.

How can I get "scangearmp" to work with Canon MP495 in my 32-bit system? Any help is appreciated.

By the way, the printer functionality works fine.

Beans

In Ubuntu 12.04 the wireless-printer works out of the box by Printers->Add new printer->Network Printer. Then selecting the right printer model and it is important using URI lpd://[printer-ip]:515

Search for network-printers didn't find anything

Beans

I can confirm that the scanner no longer works with these instructions/drivers. Note that before Ubuntu 12.04 it DID work just fine, I had this thread bookmarked for that reason but now its unable to detect the scanner, exactly as the other posters have said.

Printer seems fine, but now I have to boot into Windows to do scanning .

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Thank you, Modsbyus. This worked perfectly on my PIXMA MP499 + 10.04LTS combo.

Printer and scanner are both working splendidly now.
    Last edited by Sinsinnati; June 27th, 2012 at 06:48 AM.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast