Thread: The only part of Ubuntu i struggle with

Beans

The only part of Ubuntu i struggle with

installing tar files.

I downloaded Banshee 1.8.0, this is the name of the file "banshee-1-1.8.0.tar.bz2"

i saved the file to my Downloads folder. I have no idea what to do next. I tried to install from the synaptic, but it only has version 1.7.6.

And there is no deb file. Can someone please help me out. Ive tried googling for directions, but they are not too clear to me. appreciate the help.
    PC Specs: Asus P6X58D Premium - Intel Core i7 930 - XFX Radeon 5750 HD Video Card - 12gb DDR3 Corsair XMS3 - (internal)750gb WD 6.0gbps - 1tb WD Green Caviar - NZXT Tempest Case - Dell 24" 1080p HD Monitor - Dell Stereo Soundbar.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: The only part of Ubuntu i struggle with

It's a compressed file, similar to zip files. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FileCompression

James78 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

Also, .tar.gz, .tar.bz2, etc, files commonly have source code in them. So if it does, you will have to compile it, then install it.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompilingEasyHowTo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TBABill View Post
    It's a compressed file, similar to zip files. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FileCompression
    im just having trouble installing them. i typed in "tar jxvf banshee-1-1.8.0.tar.bz2", but i keep getting no such file directory
    PC Specs: Asus P6X58D Premium - Intel Core i7 930 - XFX Radeon 5750 HD Video Card - 12gb DDR3 Corsair XMS3 - (internal)750gb WD 6.0gbps - 1tb WD Green Caviar - NZXT Tempest Case - Dell 24" 1080p HD Monitor - Dell Stereo Soundbar.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by TimEnid View Post
    im just having trouble installing them. i typed in "tar jxvf banshee-1-1.8.0.tar.bz2", but i keep getting no such file directory
    Blegh, extracting tar files from the command line was one thing that I never took the time to try to understand. Assuming you have a GUI handy, you can just right-click and choose "extract here." That will do all the extracting for you.

From a command line, then you'll want to build Banshee from source. In this case, you should cd into the extracted folder, then run:

Code:
    ./configure
    then
    Code:
    make && sudo make install
    But really, if you just want to use the latest Banshee, the easiest way to get it is through its PPA. Or from the command line, just run: "sudo add-apt-repository ppa:banshee-team/ppa". Subscribing to the PPA will automatically keep Banshee up-to-date through Ubuntu's regular update manager, so you can just check for updates to get the latest version (1.8.0 in this case).
    Last edited by boombox1387; October 22nd, 2010 at 02:23 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by boombox1387 View Post
    But really, if you just want to use the latest Banshee, the easiest way to get it is through its PPA. Or from the command line, just run: "sudo add-apt-repository ppa:banshee-team/ppa". Subscribing to the PPA will automatically keep Banshee up-to-date through Ubuntu's regular update manager, so you can just check for updates to get the latest version (1.8.0 in this case).
    Like I say. Never build something from source when you don't need too. PPA's and the already available repositories have most packages.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by boombox1387 View Post
    E]

this is the option i went with. thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just click on the file from Nautilus, Dolphin, or whatever file manager you're using.

That will brink up Ark, the archiving program, which will give you the options for extracting.

Folder permissions can sometimes be tricky. If you are trying to extract into a folder for which you don't have permission, it won't work. (This is true of many system folders which have root permissions).

You can often add

sudo

before the tar and get it to work.

Alternatively, you can extract to a folder for which you do have permissions and then subsequently copy (as root or sudo) to the folder that requires root permissions.

Also note that some older versions of tar used I instead of j for bzip2 files, so that

tar Ixvf filename
    Last edited by perspectoff; October 23rd, 2010 at 05:55 PM.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
    and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by James78 View Post
    Like I say. Never build something from source when you don't need too. PPA's and the already available repositories have most packages.
    Kind of true and kind of not.

Not every package distributes its updates through PPAs. Many, many Linux programs don't even bother with .deb packages (yet, lol).

Further, PPAs are often not maintained by the original program developers and can themselves be out-of-date.

But often the PPAs are indeed an easier way to go than installing and comiling from source, especially for newbies. It is important to recognize that PPAs are not officially reviewed by Ubuntu/Debian developers, though, and can contain a mixed bag of software. Appropriate caution is warranted when using PPAs.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
    and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by perspectoff View Post
    ... Many, many Linux programs don't even bother with .deb packages (yet, lol).

Further, PPAs are often not maintained by the original program developers and can themselves be out-of-date.
    That'd qualify under needing to build it from source.