Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Mic not working in skype, ekiga on Ubuntu 10.10

Beans

Re: Mic not working in skype, ekiga on Ubuntu 10.10

Hey,

I know this is an old thread but I had the same problem on two different computers (my Kubuntu on a 64 bit PC and my Ubuntu 10.10 running on my Acer One), both with Pulse Audio.

I spent about a week tweaking on it and I fixed it. thru no help of anyone whatsoever. While everyone had bright ideas that seemed to work for them, none worked for me.

Then a week later, I was poking around the skype forum and someone was using pavucontrol to adjust his stereo output. So I did the standard sudo apt-get install pavucontrol. Then I gave it a whirl and caught something evil.

On my Acer One: If you run pavucontrol and go to input devices, it sees my microphone as a stereo input. I noticed when I 'unlinked' the left/right channels and turned the RIGHT channel all the way DOWN, and the LEFT channel all the way up, the microphone instantly started working. Skype fixed.

On my Kubuntu PC: Whenever Skype was up and running, pavucontrol detected Skype was trying to use the microphone jack for a source and not my Logitech webcam mic. So I clicked on the button and changed the source over to webcam mic. Problem was instantly fixed.

While the Ubuntu Linux Gods found this problem uninteresting, I hope this posting will one day help out another of us little people.

Beans

Man you put a lot of work into this. Congrats on your succes, nowadays its Ubuntu 11.10 most people use. The new Ubuntu works better with laptop microphones in general. Have you tried Ubuntu 11.10?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Finn bjerke View Post
    Man you put a lot of work into this. Congrats on your succes, nowadays its Ubuntu 11.10 most people use. The new Ubuntu works better with laptop microphones in general. Have you tried Ubuntu 11.10?
    Thanks. I am actually away right now. I had to fix my home pc via cbc thru an ssh pipe on a Droid tablet. My netbook is running Ubuntu Ultimate Edition. As I understand it, I would need to do a fresh install. An upgrade I think would break it.

Beans

*vnc

Beans

upgrade ubuntu to 11.10 and the problem is solved imn my case at least.

Beans

Bloody skype. I hate it when it doesn't work!
    But thanks to this guy, it works! Hooray!

Beans

Try Ubuntu 12.04 it works with different mics. Microsoft have bought Skype, now and then skype is not working, may I suggest google plus "hangout" as a good user freindly alternative ?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567