Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Apple 'Launchpad' trademark infringement.

Beans

Re: Apple 'Launchpad' trademark infringement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Picklesworth View Post
    This discussion badly needs a mention of Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by ignorance.
    Oooh! I like that quote. Big ol' +1 to that!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

One is a development coordination website, and one is an app launcher, so I don't think it'll be a problem.
    Last edited by NCLI; October 23rd, 2010 at 10:07 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

So if i make a bug tacking website called 'MAC OSX Lion' i wont get sued!? excellent!!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Verbeck View Post
    So if i make a bug tacking website called 'MAC OSX Lion' i wont get sued!? excellent!!!
    Good comedic timing... eh typing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

That's different

Launchpad is a common word, Mac OSX Lion is a very, very rare and specific phrase(As you probably already knew).
    Last edited by NCLI; October 23rd, 2010 at 10:50 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NCLI View Post
    That's different

Launchpad is a common word, Mac OSX Lion is a very, very rare and specific phrase(As you probably already knew).
    I think you are confusing Launchpad with Landingpad.

IMO, name trademarks don't hold too much water. Especially if you are marketing two completely different products. For example, you can go out and have a drink of 'Ubuntu Cola' with your friends, or if it's the limelight, maybe some dashing 'Ubuntu Wine'. Then when you arrive home, you can wash your clothes with 'Linux Detergent', and make them all cuddly again with 'Micro&soft Fabric Softener'.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Picklesworth View Post
    Companies don't all (or always) go to court with each other over trademark issues, and it would be exceptionally stupid to do so on a whim
    (And if Canonical did waste money & time initiating such a thing, I would be rather annoyed with them)
    IANAL, but I believe part of retaining the rights to a trademark does involve an obligation to challenge possible infringements. If the lawyers did decide there was a case to be heard, Canonical might be forced to sue Apple, or risk losing the rights to "Launchpad".

IMO though, the two products are different enough that there's not much of an issue. If Apple's Launchpad was a bug tracker or version control package, it'd be time to cry havoc and let slip the dogs of law.

Iksf is offline Just Give Me the Beans!
    Beans

If launchpad bug tracking was made in a years time, £20 says Apple would sue Canonical. Or if someone made a, er dunno, MySQL server called iSQL that basicly replaced MySQL, same story. Suing people over this kind of thing is stupid and childish, but if everyone else is going to do it.... already fighting an uphill battle

Beans

As much as I hate Apple, it has a different use so it's fine for them to use that word. Just like the local glass company down the road can sell Windows.

Beans

Yeah, you will.

Nestle will sue you:
    I'm a human, so I can make mistakes. Therefore this post (which represents my view) may be mistaken or contain errors.
    Oh, by the way, it may also feature some sarcasm. So take it easy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast