Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Apple 'Launchpad' trademark infringement.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Apple 'Launchpad' trademark infringement.

Quote Originally Posted by juancarlospaco View Post
    The final name will be iLaunchpad
    Intel i5 Ivy Bridge 2.8Ghz (3.4Ghz Turbo), 64bit user, AMD GPU 7700 series

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by FuturePilot View Post
    It's included on just about every single SanDisk (and perhaps others) flash drive.
    Everyone that I've ever seen use that just gets annoyed by it. Every time I get a flash drive with U3 on it the first thing I do is change the contents of the virtual CD to do more interesting things. Several times I've had people ask me how to remove it. Most people don't want apps on their flash drive, they want them on their computer. And almost everyone who even understands how to use portable apps hates the U3 software with a vengeance.

Every mac fanboy on the planet, on the other hand, will now be totally pumped to use the new iLaunchpad. Until Canoncial sues them for it. Which they had better do.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Quote Originally Posted by thefinn93 View Post
    Everyone that I've ever seen use that just gets annoyed by it. Every time I get a flash drive with U3 on it the first thing I do is change the contents of the virtual CD to do more interesting things. Several times I've had people ask me how to remove it. Most people don't want apps on their flash drive, they want them on their computer. And almost everyone who even understands how to use portable apps hates the U3 software with a vengeance.
    You're missing my point. Yes what you said is mostly true from my experiences, but my point is that there is another piece of software using the name launchpad and has been for years, but nobody made a big deal about it. Only after Apple names something launchpad everyone shouts OMG SUE! Whether people like/use U3 or not, is irrelevant. It's still a widely known and distributed piece of software and its name is still launchpad.
    Last edited by FuturePilot; October 23rd, 2010 at 10:08 PM.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 2 X 1TB, 1 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

the final name will be ilaunchpad
    +1

Beans

I seriously doubt there will be a lawsuit over this. If so this whole issue is merely Apple sliding a rook into position.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Companies don't all (or always) go to court with each other over trademark issues, and it would be exceptionally stupid to do so on a whim
    (And if Canonical did waste money & time initiating such a thing, I would be rather annoyed with them)

It may be a good idea for them to make a point that they run a web service with the name Launchpad; in that area they have a trademark. Beyond that, as long as they have clearly defended their own turf, nobody is hurting anyone.

Especially if Apple decides to be amazingly friendly and renames their product even when it isn't a trademark infringement. (Software is a big field).

This discussion badly needs a mention of Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by ignorance.
    Apple's marketing people should probably learn how to use Google, though.
    Last edited by Mr. Picklesworth; October 23rd, 2010 at 07:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

the final name will be ilaunchpad
    +1

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by FuturePilot View Post
    I disagree. It's included on just about every single SanDisk (and perhaps others) flash drive.
    yes, but does anyone actually use flash drive bloat? I format my flash drives right after I get them.
    I had to do it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Maybe Apple will license the trademark from Canonical, just like they already do from Cisco (for iPhone/iOS).
    Proud GNU/Linux zealot and lover of penguins
    "Value your freedom or you will lose it, teaches history." --Richard Stallman

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin2128 View Post
    yes, but does anyone actually use flash drive bloat? I format my flash drives right after I get them.
    See my previous post.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 2 X 1TB, 1 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast