Thread: rEFIt Freeze, Cant boot to OSX

Beans

Question rEFIt Freeze, Cant boot to OSX

Hey y'all!

I do not have ubuntu, but I have seen people talking about booting with and customizing rEFIt here, and this seems like a knowledgeable place to seek advice.

So here's my problem:

I have a macbook pro on which I have OSX 10.5.8 and Windows7 x64 (installed through bootcamp 3.1). I downloaded rEFIt and tried to modify the rEFIt interface following the instructions here:

http://colinharrington.net/blog/2009.../#comment-3970

After trying to change the background (hostname.bmg) to a different image rEFIt opened to show the new background (.bmg file) but nothing else (no mac or windows logos like previously) so I can't select an OS to boot to!!

I can still hold down the option key during startup to bring up the regular bootcamp menu which allows me to choose between my bootcamp partition (with windows 7) and what is now called the rEFIt partition (previously called Macintosh HD before I installed rEFIt) So I CAN boot to windows, but cannot boot into OSX without going through rEFIt, which is not showing me any options to choose from.

The modifications I made to rEFIt were through the rEFIt.const file in the rEFIt folder in the efi folder on my Mac partition. This const file now reads:

timeout 20
    banner hostname.bmp
    selection_big selection-big-ring.bmp
    hideui tools shell funcs hdbadges label
    legacyfirst

I can see and read my mac partition in windows, but cannot save to it to reverse these changes I made to the .const file. I was also hoping that the timeout in rEFIt would automatically talk me into OSX even though I cannot see any icons, but after 5+ minutes waiting on rEFIt nothing happens. Also, I made sure not to list badges under hideui so they should still be shown.

So my Q is:

How do I circumnavigate rEFIt to boot to OSX so I can reverse these bad changes I made

OR does rEFIt have shortcut keys that may let me circumnavigate its GUI?

OR is there a way I can change the rEFIt.const file on my OSX partition while booted in windows and save it back to the OSX partition?

Thanks!!

Beans

Re: rEFIt Freeze, Cant boot to OSX

Woops! had the wrong link to the tutorial I was using... the right one is: http://colinharrington.net/blog/2009...el-macs-slick/

Beans

any by .const I definitely meant the .conf file

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by SevenDayFestival View Post
    timeout 20
    banner hostname.bmp
    legacyfirst
    Does your mac have a firewire port? If so, you'll have to borrow another mac and connect them via Firewire. Boot and hold down T. You're hard drive should appear on the borrowed machine. You can then edit your refit.conf file, preferably without "hideui," (which I'm assuming is causing your problem.)

Beans

@teejmya Hey thanks for the reply!

I got around it by booting to my OSX install CD, using the startup disc utility in the drop down menu and selecting the mac HD to boot from.

Now my question is if anyone has successfully changed the banner image of rEFIt? I've tried it once more since with another bitmap and it did the same thing but with the different picture. If however, I leave out the banner hostname.bmp (like below) rEFIt works just fine with my other settings:

timeout 20
    #banner hostname.bmp
    legacyfirst

so it is definitely the hostname.bmp that is messing things up...does this .bmp need to be a specific size? Any ideas?

Thanks!