Thread: Fresh Install of 10.10 Maverick Meerkat - So far, so good

Beans

Fresh Install of 10.10 Maverick Meerkat - So far, so good

With all the negatives we've been hearing about 10.10, I thought I'd share a not so dull experience.

I was scared away too by all the bugs reported, complaints logged here on the forums, so I had initially decided to stick to 10.04 LTS which was working flawlessly. I was a bit of an idiot and carelessly, on one of my assembled machines, ended up deleting my linux partition when trying to format another drive while using windows on the same machine.

So I thought, what the heck, since I screwed it up anyway, why not attempt installing it. My machine is an assembled one, with Intel Core II Duo 2.93 GHz processor, 4GB RAM and an Nvidia 512 MB video card. I installed the 64-bit version of 10.10.

Just popped in the CD, installed to my desired partition, had my network cable connected during install. It automatically detected my location, downloaded necessary updates and installed without any glitches. I ran further updates after installation, it detected my Nvidia card automatically, recommended a 3rd party driver for it, which it installed. So now, I have full functionality of all my hardware.

While many might consider this post of mine useless, I wanted to share so that people don't get get scared away. 10.10 isn't as nightmarish as it seems looking at the forums, and as the sticky says, try it first on your machine with the live CD to make sure all your important hardware works. If it does, only then should you bother installing or upgrading.

Next, an attempt to upgrade from an existing 10.04 installation to 10.10 on an Acer Extensa 4420 laptop with an old ATI card which has no real linux support from the manufacturer. Fingers crossed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Fresh Install of 10.10 Maverick Meerkat - So far, so good

Seconded! I only have two gripes with Maverick and that is 1. the keyboard language bar that will not go away if you use dual layouts, as I do (currently being looked at as bug #519372 on Launchpad), and 2. some minor hassle getting Citrix to run. Other than that it's been plain sailing so far.
    Mine was a fresh install from USB on a HP 4510s Core Duo 1.20GHz laptop with 3GB RAM and Intel graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by seventhsamurai View Post
    Next, an attempt to upgrade from an existing 10.04 installation to 10.10 on an Acer Extensa 4420 laptop with an old ATI card which has no real linux support from the manufacturer. Fingers crossed.
    Oh, and good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Just to add my two pence worth:

I've got my HDD partitioned into /, /home and swap so I just installed 10.10 over the top of / and it worked flawlessly - I also 'downgraded' to 32-bit as I've only got 3GB of ram and 10.04 64-bit used to crash with some regularity when using flash and skype at the same time.

10.10 has been amazingly stable so far for me. The only gripe is brasero being crap at the moment.
    I have a major malfunction!

Beans

I attempted the trial CD on my Acer Extensa 4420, and it did not work. On the screen where it asked me to choose between trying and installing, I chose the former, and then the system just hung, didn't even attempt to read any further from the CD. I guess that tells me something in my machine isn't compatible and it perhaps won't be too smart to attempt an upgrade from the update manager in 10.04.

No complaints with 10.04, so on this machine, I'll just stick to it.

@lotharmat: Why don't you try K3B? It's quite superb, and it seems to be working very well on 10.10.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by lotharmat View Post
    I've got my HDD partitioned into /, /home and swap
    Same, for the record! Makes everything so much easier, ey?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I got rid of windows with 10.10 and everything works fine - everything (except when I do something stupid like delete grub
    Perseverance will succeed (usually)
    ubuntu user -32597 - linux user - 526569
    Wireless Info Script
    Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

+1
    The only gripe is brasero being crap at the moment.
    Brasero produces only coasters for me when trying to burn data DVDs. Also, I have noticed 10.10 is slower to start up and slower to shut down. I don't know why.

I have stuck to 10.04 since that is the last version where everything worked out of the box without issue. I even have ole reliable still running 9.10 since that was the last install that worked on that hardware without issue.
    XFCE, From Now On!