Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is AdBlock Plus Useless In HTML5?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Is AdBlock Plus Useless In HTML5?

I don't know whether this website is using HTML5. It is from one of our local bank. When I endable AdBlock Plus. The webpage only display text and when I disable it show the graphical content of the website. Note the top right hand corner show ABP icon that show disable and enable. If so I think AdBlock Plus will be useless to block any flash ads in HTML5. Attached is the image below that show with Adblock Plus disable and enable.

This is the website if you want to check it out. Any input are welcome. Thanks!

http://www.hlb.com.my/

With AdBlock Disable.jpgWith AdBlock Enable.jpg
    Last edited by Khakilang; October 19th, 2010 at 05:26 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Is AdBlock Plus Useless In HTML5?

Quote Originally Posted by Khakilang View Post
    I don't know whether this website is using HTML5. It is from one of our local bank. When I endable AdBlock Plus. The webpage only display text and when I disable it show the graphical content of the website. Note the top right hand corner show ABP icon that show disable and enable. If so I think AdBlock Plus will be useless to block any flash ads in HTML5. Attached is the image below that show with Adblock Plus disable and enable.

Short answer: no. Adblock will work with HTML5.

There are many factors that could influence why that site isn't working with Adblock.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Additionally to Ctrl-Alt-F1's answer you can also define the blocking rules. Just edit them and you'll be able to see the content.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Ctrl-Alt-F1 View Post
    Short answer: no. Adblock will work with HTML5.

There are many factors that could influence why that site isn't working with Adblock.
    I use hosts file anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Khakilang View Post

I see all the graphics in your screen shot with ABP enabled.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Oxwivi View Post
    Have another look. In the second shot, ABP is disabled with a colourless ABP button.

@Khakilang, double-check your blocking rules. I've seen something similar when a Russian adserver hijacked another forum I use. I added the rule '*.ru*' to ABP thinking it would totally block every .ru domain website. In fact it allowed .ru websites to be displayed, but in text only very much the same as in your first screenshot.

But it blocked the rogue adserver from slowing the forum down for me.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you guys for posting. I will try the setting later. Everyday something new to learn.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Oxwivi View Post
    As do I.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This is because his screenshots are labelled the wrong way around. The "enabled" one has Adblock disabled and vice versa.
    Here be sarcasm/humour/even good ideas!
    Server: 2.7GHz Athlon 64, 2GB RAM, 80GB boot drive, 4.5TB RAID 5 for backups
    Desktop: 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, ATI Radeon HD 5770
    Netbook: Lenovo Ideapad S10e, Ubuntu Netbook Edition

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by canoemoose View Post
    This is because his screenshots are labelled the wrong way around. The "enabled" one has Adblock disabled and vice versa.
    My apologies. I guess I make a mistake there. The one with the graphics are ABP disable and the one with text is when I enable the ABP. Let me redo again. Sorry for the inconvenience.

With AdBlock Enable.jpgWith AdBlock Disable.jpg
    Last edited by Khakilang; October 19th, 2010 at 11:03 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast