Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lost the command line

Beans
    Hidden!

lost the command line

i have been trying to create a ubuntu install from the commandline and have run into a little truble. i installed the gdm (plus all of the dependancys) but then accidently booted into it. to problem is that now it always boots to gdm, not my old cli. and havent installed any gui terminals (eg gnome terminal) or a package manager. so i cannon do anything with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: lost the command line

hmm do you ever WANT a GUI? if not just sudo apt-get remove ubuntu-desktop

Steve
    Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.6 Ghz 2 Gb ram, Asus P5KPL motherboard, 2.5 TB Storage running Hardy.
    HP Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz 756 mb ram running Intrepid.

Beans
    Hidden!

i want the gui, but the problem is that i cannot access the cli, and cannot install anything from the gui

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Simply press alt-ctr-F1 or alt-ctrl-F2 (....F3...F4...F5...F6) to get one of the virtual consoles to log into.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Hidden!

thanks but ive tryed that to, im using virtual box to run it, and when i do that it gives me a terminal, but for the host not the virtual machiene i want it to do it in

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

As coffeecat mentioned, you can login to virtual console.

In addition you can select Recovery Mode from Grub Menu and Drop to root shell.

cannot install anything from the gui
    Why so? It is a serious problem. What happens when you try to install anything?

Beans
    Hidden!

oh and just to add another thing, because theres no other os on the machiene, grub doesn't appear at boot so i cannot get access to recovery mode

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

You need to mouse-click on the VirtualBox window to capture the keyboard and mouse I should think before you press alt-ctrl-F1.

Or - boot up in recovery mode. You'll get an option to choose drop to root terminal with networking. When you get the # prompt you are root, so you can apt-get and do whatever else you need without using sudo.

Edit: you posted the comment about the grub menu just as I posted. You need to capture the keyboard and mouse in the same way so that you can press SHIFT to show the grub menu. But you'll have to be very quick. I had a similar problem instaling Vista to a Vbox guest machine, trying to press F8 to get safe mode and not being quick enough capturing the mouse.
    Last edited by coffeecat; October 18th, 2010 at 10:22 AM.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Hidden!

nope, even when i click in (capture the mouse) it still launches it in the host.

Beans
    Hidden!

thanks, that worked, all i had to do was hold down shift (took about 3 trys).
    just thought i should post a hard question for once. hopfuly i dont get stuck with the same problem when i do it for real with the computer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast