Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sync Google Calendar with Evolution?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Question Sync Google Calendar with Evolution?

Hey everyone,
    Does anyone know how to sync my Google calendar with the Evolution calendar? I'd really like to work from my desktop as much as possible. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Sync Google Calendar with Evolution?

Google Calendar integration used to be hard to set up with Evolution. You could either do a read-only calendar or use GCalDaemon, which most non-Evolution users still use. But read-only was pointless and GCalDaemon could be slow.

Then, Ebby Wiselyn hacked Google Calendar support for Evolution during the Google Summer of Code, and the code eventually made it into Evolution.

To add a Google Calendar, first go to the Calendars section of Evolution and create a new calendar with File -> New -> Calendar.
    Change the type to Google, give it a name, put in your username (not your email), then click Retrieve List.
    Select the calendar you wish to add from the drop-down list, and optionally assign a colour.
    You can also choose whether to cache the calendar offline. Your calendar should then show up under the Google folder.

Support for Google Calendar isn't perfect, however. Evolution doesn't currently support repeating or all-day events (though that may be coming soon). Also, you can't sync your tasks or memos with Google Calendar, since GCal supports neither.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Blazemore,
    You're awesome. Totally worked and is awesome. I'll calling this one solved!

Thanks!

Beans

Cool Re: Sync Google Calendar with Evolution?

I had it working well before upgrading to Maverick, using the CalDAV method. After the upgrade, when I click the gnome-clock applet, it takes forever to show the calendar, and the google calendar events don't even show. Besides that, I can't edit the events in Evolution anymore.
    I tried to erase the calendar and make a new one following this new method, but with no success. It works well until the next reboot.
    I suspect that it's related to the cache folders. I noticed that a folder with a name starting with "caldav___" was created in the cache folder (.../.evolution/cache/calendar), by the time the problem first happened (after the reboot). In the cache folder there's still the folder created when setting up the sync (that worked for a while). I suspect that Evolution is trying to read a file from the wrong location.

Does anyone have a similar problem? Thanks!

Beans

After a new google search I found that the bug was already reported:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've just installed Ubuntu 10.10, got my gmail acccount up and trying to sync my calendar and contacts.
    However when I try and create a new calendar, I dont have the google type (only display "On this Computer", "On the web" and "weather")
    What do I need to get the google type?

Beans

I am on ubuntu 10.10 64 bit. I get the error message "Cannot read data from Google server.
    Cannot resolve hostname (www.google.com)"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by willix View Post
    What do I need to get the google type?
    Install the evolution-plugins package and you should be fine. At l
    east it worked for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

^ I have the same problem as you, vangelas!

I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 32-bit, I've typed my username only in the username field, not username@domain.com , I get the same error for trying to sync contacts, but the e-mail works fine using IMAP or POP3, both work.

What are we supposed to do?!

Beans

I had the same problem, but updating/upgrading Evolution, then restarting it, solved the problem...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast