Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The best way to Install Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Lightbulb The best way to Install Linux

I'm just wondering how people partition their hard drives when installing Linux.

I myself am using a 250GB Acer laptop and have partitioned my hard drive as such, 75GB for "/ "(root), 5GB for "SWAP" and the remaining 160GB for "/home".

What have people found to be the most efficient ways to partition? Is there a recommended standard?
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: The best way to Install Linux

LOL...you will never need 5GB of SWAP, 1GB is more than enough.

I don't think there is any standard regarding allocation of space. Just do it as per your need, but allocating more than 1GB to SWAP is just of no use.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

As already said, it's a personal thing. Useful guide with screenshots in case it's of any help to you or others:

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2010/10/12...tioning-guide/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

In regards to SWAP, I heard somewhere that 1.5x your memory is a good number to use. As my first install I thought best to over shoot than under shoot
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Legeril View Post
    I'm just wondering how people partition their hard drives when installing Linux.

I myself am using a 250GB Acer laptop and have partitioned my hard drive as such, 75GB for "/ "(root), 5GB for "SWAP" and the remaining 160GB for "/home".

What have people found to be the most efficient ways to partition? Is there a recommended standard?
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PartitioningSchemes

It's all up to you and to your needs.
    I would attach a screen shot that shows my partitions but it's not good idea because I have perhaps 20 partitions and that might confuse you

The most recommended and general scheme is:
    1- Root (/) - ext4
    2- Swap (SWAP)
    3- Home (/home) - ext4

About SWAP, the more, the better unless you have for example more than 4GB of RAM. The main idea about SWAP partition is that partition will work as Virtual Memory, just like in Windows but the difference is, in Windows, you don't need to CREATE a partition for Virtual Memory while you need that in Ubuntu.
    You're helping your RAM by providing some extra space for it to operate more efficiently. People might not find that so much interested especially nowadays when almost 80% have more than 2GB of RAM. I do have 2GB of RAM but my SWAP partition is 4GB. I have 500GB HDD so I don't mind to allocate 4GB for SWAP.
    After all, it's all up to you and the way you're using your Laptop/PC.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Legeril View Post
    In regards to SWAP, I heard somewhere that 1.5x your memory is a good number to use. As my first install I thought best to over shoot than under shoot
    I read the same and overcooked the swap partition, but its not the end of the world
    . I did the standar /, swap, /root and /home. Purposefully went for a seperate home for future upgrades (Got rid of windows too
    Perseverance will succeed (usually)
    ubuntu user -32597 - linux user - 526569
    Wireless Info Script
    Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

But does the factor 2 stays "valid"?

Like, if you have 6GB memory, would it still be "better" to have 12GB of swap? Or does it get a bit over the top then?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by bprins View Post
    But does the factor 2 stays "valid"?

Like, if you have 6GB memory, would it still be "better" to have 12GB of swap? Or does it get a bit over the top then?
    The advice is to double the ram for swap partition!? I don't know much about it so I went with the advice

Not sure that sentance makes sense.
    Perseverance will succeed (usually)
    ubuntu user -32597 - linux user - 526569
    Wireless Info Script
    Blog

Beans

The irony is the more RAM you have, the less swap you need (as it is less likely you will run out of free RAM requiring swapping to happen...

BUT this is very much a recurring topic I am sure and will find its way there very shortly with all the other exact same threads like this

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Upto 1GB RAM, "Double the Swap" theory goes perfect, but say if you have 4GB of RAM then 512MB Swap is just fine, As I said before 1GB SWAP is more than enough in more or less every condition

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast