Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing some steps in getting my website live

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Missing some steps in getting my website live

hi guys:
    Fished out my old linux computer from my closet and decided to get a website up and running. However, I cannot for the life of me figure this thing out and it's getting frustrating. I want to host my own website, this is more like a DIY experience rather than a money issue.

I will attempt to outline and detail the steps I took, and I would appreciate it if the ubuntu community could point me in the right direction.

1.) I registered a domain name thru godaddy.com
    2.) Because I am under a dynamic IP, I forwarded my IP to the freedns.afraid.org website. My nameservers are now NS1.afraid.org and NS2.afraid.org with my dynamic IP and domain attached to them. I then replaced the nameserver host in godaddy with this (yikes did I screw up here?)
    3.) I installed LAMP thru a sudo tasksel, this seemed like the best way according to a quick search. This is where I get confused. Where do I open it? How do I run this program?

I already have a really basic index.php file ready to go. I just want to be able to see it when I type my domain in someone else's computer. I didn't realize it would be this hard

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Missing some steps in getting my website live

Assuming Apache2 is running, a basic test is needed. Can you access your server by your external ip address? Did you forward port 80 on your router to your server ip? Did you confirm port 80 is not blocked by your isp using a site such as canyouseeme.org or shieldsup?
    Last edited by volkswagner; October 17th, 2010 at 03:12 AM.
    Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Where do I open it? How do I run this program?
    There is no graphical frontend to Apache. Assuming your server has a GUI (graphic interface), you can test it by opening a web browser and browsing to http://localhost/.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by jshaw22 View Post

1.) I registered a domain name thru godaddy.com
    2.) Because I am under a dynamic IP, I forwarded my IP to the freedns.afraid.org website. My nameservers are now NS1.afraid.org and NS2.afraid.org with my dynamic IP and domain attached to them. I then replaced the nameserver host in godaddy with this (yikes did I screw up here?)
    3.) I installed LAMP thru a sudo tasksel, this seemed like the best way according to a quick search. This is where I get confused. Where do I open it? How do I run this program?
    2) test it by looking up your domain and/or your server - preferably on an other machine than your server, to avoid a local lookup
    like so:
    Code:
    user@computer:~$ host ubuntuforums.org
    ubuntuforums.org has address 91.189.94.12
    ubuntuforums.org mail is handled by 10 mail.ubuntuforums.org.
    Also consider volkswagner's questions

3) read https://help.ubuntu.com/6.06/ubuntu/...e/C/httpd.html

James78 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

1 and 2) To help you with BIND configuration (you'll need it if you're hosting your own nameservers, which I HIGHLY recommend for obvious reasons), check out this topic.

P.S. ISP's HATE it when people host servers through a dynamic IP, which wasn't meant for servers. Sometimes they cut you off, etc. They can be pretty unforgiving. You should keep that in mind! And besides that fact, websites are really more suited to a static IP, as most dynamic IP's are automatically on blacklists (not because they spammed, but because they aren't supposed to be servers in the first place; speficially in spamhaus, which if it's not static, you're most likely on it, which can interfere with mail sending if people do RBL lookups to it. Also, hosts like Hotmail automatically deny mail sent from Dynamic IP's)

Quote Originally Posted by jshaw22 View Post
    ... I didn't realize it would be this hard
    Yup! I self taught myself all of this.. Guess how long it took? At very least a couple of months. My first suggestion is, DON'T give up, because when you do, you'll never learn how to do it, but if you hang in there, you'll learn eventually if you keep trying. Google is your friend!
    Last edited by James78; October 18th, 2010 at 01:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by James78 View Post
    P.S. ISP's HATE it when people host servers through a dynamic IP, which wasn't meant for servers. ...
    small small aside:

What most ISPs actually hate is when people run servers on residential connections. That those happen to have dynamic addresses is irrelevant in that perspective.

Most network admins and server admins prefer servers to have static addresses because for servers, dynamic addresses often require workarounds (like constant polling what the current address is), which add unnecessary complexity and increase the probability of things going wrong.

Mail server admins don't trust (other) mail servers on dynamic addresses because they know most of net/server admins prefer static addresses. So mail servers with dynamic addresses are more likely to be run by amateurs (and possibly more prone to exploits) or spammers, or are in fact spam bots running on PC's with a residential internet connection. That's why a lot of mail servers refuse to talk to them.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by koenn View Post
    small small aside:

What most ISPs actually hate is when people run servers on residential connections. That those happen to have dynamic addresses is irrelevant in that perspective.
    That's actually what I meant. I just didn't put it into words that correctly.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by koenn View Post
    Most residential ISP contracts forbid servers as part of the Terms of Service.

[M]ail servers with dynamic addresses are more likely to be run by amateurs (and possibly more prone to exploits) or spammers, or are in fact spam bots running on PC's with a residential internet connection.
    Nearly all of them fall into the spambot category. The probability that a residential user will have any clue about how to run a local mailserver approaches zero. If you ask nicely, some ISPs will allow you to send mail over port 25, because simply asking the question places you in the category of more informed users. Still if you accept inbound mail, you're probably again violating your Terms of Service.

I routinely block all mail from machines with dynamic addresses and have for years. From experience this policy has rarely led to false positives. False positives have become progressively fewer as time goes on, since most ordinary users have migrated to free mail services or connect through their workplaces.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    ... I routinely block all mail from machines with dynamic addresses and have for years. From experience this policy has rarely led to false positives. False positives have become progressively fewer as time goes on, since most ordinary users have migrated to free mail services or connect through their workplaces.
    I'm interested in the configuration you have for that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Update. Okay, so I got my website live but I still don't know how to use that nameserver stuff.

What I did was just use my dynamic IP and put it into the Total DNS control. I guess as long as i don't shut down my computer it's all good.

I then put my index.html along with some other files in the 'htdocs' file in my Apache software. I just wanted to view my website live from another computer and got what I achieved. Thanks for all the help. Hopefully my ISP doesn't catch me hosting...

BTW related question, and dunno if this belong's here or a new topic: How can I get email? Any quick-n-dirty methods? like admin@example.com

thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast