Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suspend fails in ubuntu 10.10 sometimes

Beans

Suspend fails in ubuntu 10.10 sometimes

I recently upgraded from 10.04 to 10.10 (both 64-bit) in my lenovo T400 laptop. Suspend used to work totally fine before in 10.04, but now suspend fails sometimes. The half moon keeps blinking and the system is unresponsive. It seems it fails either 5th or 10th time I tried to suspend.

I tried suspend from login screen and it also fails after trying it for more than 5 times. I tried without wireless with no change, and it does not matter what applications I open or close, the same problem exists.

I also tried this workaround from (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...98/comments/30)
    create files : /etc/pm/config.d/00sleep_module and /etc/pm/config.d/unload_module
    add line to files : SUSPEND_MODULES="xhci-hcd"
    with no success,

I really appreciate any suggestions. I do not want to switch back to 10.04 but if there is no option I will have to.

Beans

Re: Suspend fails in ubuntu 10.10 sometimes

T400,4GB
    Hi mate have same issue, here is some workaround for lenovo. http://ubuntu-ky.ubuntuforums.org/sh....php?p=9974877

What you have to do is create file let says in your home dir. Call it suspend and paste in:
    sudo acpitool -s && gnome-screensaver-command --lock
    and make it executable

This will suspend and lock screen on resume.

Only problem is that I don't know how to overwrite suspend button so it could run without manualy executing that script. Any help would be appreciated on that.

Cheers Regiss
    Last edited by regiss; October 19th, 2010 at 01:25 AM.

Beans

Thanks for the response. But the manual suspend did not really fix my problem, instead switching back to a older kernel did.

I am using now 2.6.32 instead of 2.6.35 and suspend works like before. I am really not sure how it fixes the problem. Hopefully some one can use this info and figure out to find a fix for the latest kernel version.

MountainX is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I'm having similar suspend failures with Ubuntu 10.10.

Sometimes it will suspend. When it suspends, it resumes fine.

Sometimes it fails to suspend. A typical error I see is something like this:
    Code:
    Freezing of tasks failed after 20.01 seconds (1 tasks refusing to freeze)
    In these cases, the system immediately resumes, never fully going to sleep.

I think I have narrowed it down to a could potential causes:
    1. it seems that the hardware sensors and/or system monitor applets in the gnome panel may prevent suspending in 10.10. (They didn't in prior releases, afaik.)

2. it seems that if I have Nautilus open to an NFS share location, suspending may not work.

Reproducing this behavior takes a lot of time. I don't want to completely trash my system either, so I am testing carefully. But so far I think I can get it to suspend reliably when I don't have any NFS shares open in Nautilus and I don't have those two applets in the panel.

If I am logged in under another user account that doesn't have any of my settings, suspend/resume seems to work reliably. (I need to test more.)
    Desktop: KX Studio (Kubuntu 12.04)
    Laptop & Netbook: Kubuntu 12.04
    Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Phone: Nexus 4 Cyanogenmod

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

this fix works for me on a Dell mini 1012 running ubuntu 10.10 32 bit

alt-f2 for gconf-editor

/apps/gnome-power-manager/lock/suspend

uncheck : blank_screen
    check : gnome_keyring_hibernate
    uncheck : gnome_keyring_suspend
    check : hibernate
    uncheck : suspend
    uncheck : use_screensaver_settings

you wont have the security a lock screen upon wake from the suspend, but you will have a convenient sleeping and waking suspend. the choice is yours.

i'll mark this as solved. but consider it a partial solution.

scratch that. cant even find it.

**UPDATE**
    I closed my netbook feeling satisfied I had solved my problem. The next day i opened it up hoping to fire off a quick email before work and the problem had REAPPEARED! le sigh.
    Last edited by pouriaba; December 13th, 2010 at 01:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Found this solution for my Dell Mini 1012. Thank God it works:

Quote Originally Posted by Petri K
    Hi!

This problem affects not just the Lenovo T400 but also for example the new Dell Latitude E4200, HP EliteBook 2530p, Sony Vaio VGN-TT1, Toshiba R600, or anything else with the "Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset" or X4500. I have exactly the same symptoms on my E4200 running intrepid.

The bug most certainly resides in the xserver-xorg-video-intel code. The fact that is manifests itself only with gnome desktop and not with KDE or text mode gives some clue. It is not compiz related as disabling compiz has no effect. I would say that this is a classical multiprocessor concurrency control problem! Disabling all but one core makes the bug disappear.

Here is my suggestion for a workaround. Save in /etc/pm/sleep.d/00CPU with 755 permissions. Note that it has to be called 00CPU so that it gets executed before and after anything else.
    Code:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    # Workaround for concurrency bug in xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.4.1-1ubuntu10.
    # Save this as /etc/pm/sleep.d/00CPU

. "${PM_FUNCTIONS}"

case "$1" in
    	hibernate|suspend)
    		for i in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/online ; do
    			echo 0 >$i
    		done
    		;;
    	thaw|resume) 
    		sleep 10	# run with one core for 10 secs
    		for i in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/online ; do
    			echo 1 >$i
    		done
    		;;
    	*)
    		;;
    esac
    Please report if this works for you! The sleep period can easily be made longer if necessary.

Petri K

Beans

this (Petri K's solution above) worked for me - thanks! This is on Dell Latitude E6510

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I can't find the "OOCPU" file in the /etc/pm/sleep.d/ Anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Confirmed to be resolved on my Sony Vaio VPC-EB2Z1E running Linux Mint 10 (64) after updating the xserver-xorg-video-intel driver from version 2:2.12.0-1ubuntu5 to version 2:2.12.0-1ubuntu5.1

Using the Linux Mint Update Manager this update required me to set the visibility of updates with security level 4 to true.
    Gutta lapidem cavat, non vi sed saepe cadendo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

confirmed to work on a Dell Mini 1012 running Ubuntu 10.10 x86

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast