Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: multitouch on thinkpad x201?

Beans

Re: multitouch on thinkpad x201?

On Firefox, I use firefox grab and drag extension so I can scroll with my finger. It's kinda klunky and manual, not as automatic as it is on Windows. I also find on Linux the battery life on that laptop is pretty poor.. So I end up more using Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Thanks in part to your document, Favux, I realized that my multitouch interface was working as expected. Now I have been practicing the Linux variation on the multitouch gestures all week, but I still can't get reliable results. I think I just need to make a gesture of crossed fingers in hopes that multitouch development will progress quickly to the intuitive "just works" state it has on Windows now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi noah++,

Sorry gestures aren't working as well as you'd like right now. They come and go as more code is added to the X server driver. So improvement might be a few commits away. The MT code for the kernel has been accepted by linux-input so we should see it in the 2.6.37 kernel.

Attention XT200t & XT201t tablet pc Users

We have python tray applet that gives automatic rotation for HP and Dell tablet pc's. I read the other day that Lenovo started including a wmi interface beginning with the X200t. If so then we may be able to add your Thinkpads to Magick Rotation.

I need to know if you have an oem-wmi kernel module on your systems. Probably called something like lenovo_wmi (ibm_wmi?). So please look through lsmod and see if you see anything like that. Enter:
    Code:
    lsmod
    in a terminal. If you do it is possible your swivel hinge switch is sending a signal through the wmi to Lenovo Hotkeys and we can intercept it.

If you do have the module a few simple tests will tell us if we can get it working through Magick. Magick also offers other features like toggling touch on and off and letting you execute shell commands before and after you rotate. To increase panel size when rotated to make the panels more touch friendly, or to show and hide CellWriter for example.

Beans
    Distro

No such driver in lsmod for my X201 tablet. Should I try to build it and use it?

Beans

AFAIK, the swivel hinge switch on x201t sends acpi signal. More specifically:

event=ibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 00005009 -- when switching to tablet mode

event=ibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 0000500a -- when switching to laptop mode

Does that help any? I currently control auto rotation using acpi-events. It works ok, but would definitely be interested in better ways to do it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi noah++ and irwand,

Thank you for responding.

Right, I knew the X60t & X61t's were using thinkpad_acpi.c in Linux/drivers/platform/x86/ (or Linux/drivers/misc/ in older kernels). A quick scan through it only showed the X60t & X61t mentioned. Given what I read I was hoping maybe a lenovo-wmi had been added for the X200t and X201t.

But looking at the 2.6.36.2 kernel doesn't show any sign of it. Oh well. So it looks like that project was dropped or never ported to linux. Unless by some chance noah++ you're saying you have source for it available?

So it appears the X200's are using the same code in the thinkpad_acpi.c:
    Code:
    	/* User-interface events */
    	TP_HKEY_EV_LID_CLOSE		= 0x5001, /* laptop lid closed */
    	TP_HKEY_EV_LID_OPEN		= 0x5002, /* laptop lid opened */
    	TP_HKEY_EV_TABLET_TABLET	= 0x5009, /* tablet swivel up */
    	TP_HKEY_EV_TABLET_NOTEBOOK	= 0x500a, /* tablet swivel down */
    	TP_HKEY_EV_PEN_INSERTED		= 0x500b, /* tablet pen inserted */
    	TP_HKEY_EV_PEN_REMOVED		= 0x500c, /* tablet pen removed */
    	TP_HKEY_EV_BRGHT_CHANGED	= 0x5010, /* backlight control event */
    Code:
    static void tpacpi_input_send_tabletsw(void)
    {
    	int state;

if (tp_features.hotkey_tablet &&
    	    !hotkey_get_tablet_mode(&state)) {
    		mutex_lock(&tpacpi_inputdev_send_mutex);

input_report_switch(tpacpi_inputdev,
    				    SW_TABLET_MODE, !!state);
    		input_sync(tpacpi_inputdev);

mutex_unlock(&tpacpi_inputdev_send_mutex);
    	}
    }
    We're getting close to bringing out Magick 1.3. It adds two new HP models, and Dell tablet pc's. So the Thinkpads won't make it in, since it looks like we need at least a new acpi module. And we were thinking of adding a calibration feature next.

But we'll get to them soon with luck. And hopefully I can anticipate some testers?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    But looking at the 2.6.36.2 kernel doesn't show any sign of it. Oh well. So it looks like that project was dropped or never ported to linux. Unless by some chance noah++ you're saying you have source for it available?
    Nope. I was thinking the module was available in Ubuntu's kernel sources but just not built by default.
    But we'll get to them soon with luck. And hopefully I can anticipate some testers?
    I am often pretty busy with school outside of these term breaks, but you are welcome to private message me and I will try to participate. I will stay subscribed to this thread, too.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Let us know what you need.. I don't know much about all the things you just said..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

X201 tablet owner here.

i can test whatever you want me to

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Smile Re: multitouch on thinkpad x201?

Hi Favux, another X201 user here, I'll be happy to test whatever you need. I really appreciate you helping out.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast