Thread: Having trouble installing Ubuntu

Beans

Having trouble installing Ubuntu

This is extremely frustrating. Basically I already have Windows 7 on the computer and I left 150 gigs of free space for Ubuntu. I boot up the Ubuntu installer using USB and I try to use the partitioning tool to select the free space but it doesn't let me and when I click install it just says, "no root file system is defined". This is such a step down from both Mint and older Ubuntu's where there was a simple option of "use largest continous free space".

Beans

Re: Having trouble installing Ubuntu

Alright looks like I figured it out. But it made me manually create swap unlike Mint, I have 2 gigs of RAM and I made a 4 gig swap partition, will that be enough?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

That's more than enough swap space.
    Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I saw somewhere in the documentation, that if you use suspend you should set swap to the same amount as ram plus 100Mb, so 4Gb isn't needed

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Space-Wolf View Post
    Alright looks like I figured it out. But it made me manually create swap unlike Mint, I have 2 gigs of RAM and I made a 4 gig swap partition, will that be enough?
    I have the same trouble. What exactly did you do besides create the swap partition?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by thebarisaxkid View Post
    I have the same trouble. What exactly did you do besides create the swap partition?
    You probably need to create all partitions by yourself. I recommend you do so anyway to create a separate /home partition.
    If you do, I'd say make a root (/) partition anywhere from 10 to 50 GB, a swap partition of 150% your RAM size (e.g. if you have 2GB RAM, create a 3GB swap) and fill the rest with the /home partition.
    Hope this helps.
    --Andy
    Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat".
    My blog: andym3.wordpress.com
    The Ubuntu/Debian user's savior: keryxproject.org

Beans

I have a vista partition+ plus a dell utility partition. This means in order to have / and /home seperate, (with swap is a primary) I would need to make an extended partition with these two partitions as logical, right? And I would install the OS in the '/' partition?

Also, what format do i use? (sorry, noob question)
    Last edited by thebarisaxkid; October 16th, 2010 at 07:54 PM.