Thread: Switching between users locks up computer -- 10.04 & 10.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Switching between users locks up computer -- 10.04 & 10.10

Hello,

This is my first post, so please bear with me if things aren't clear.

Since upgrading from 9.10 to 10.04, the "Switch User" functionality no longer works. I had hoped that upgrading to 10.10 might resolve the issue, but no joy. I am using 32bit Ubuntu 10.10 on a Levono R51 laptop, with three users. 9.10 was installed from a LiveCD, and I have partitioned the hard drive so that OS is in the first partition, and the three home directories are in the second partition (just in case I need to do a complete re-installation from LiveCD). Most of time only one person uses the laptop, but if a second person tries to switch from the current session and log in, they are greeted with the following;

-- a black horizontal line (approx top quarter of the screen)
    -- a purple background with the Ubuntu title and 5 red dots (lower 3/4 of screen) -- but no login screen
    -- moving the mouse renders a white box (approx 1x1 inches) with some black marks

The original user can recover their session with Ctrl-Alt-F7, but this essentially makes the laptop only usable for one person (one active login) unless the original user logs off.

I have searched the forums as best I can, but been unable to find a solution to this issue. I would really appreciate it if someone can point me to an existing link, or provide guidance with resolving this issue. Please let me know any additional information that is needed. Thanks in advance.

Deza
    Last edited by deza; October 15th, 2010 at 10:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Switching between users locks up computer -- 10.04 & 10.10

Hi Deza,

Did you find a resolution to this. I just loaded 10.04 on a ThinkPad T43 and am having the same issue. Is this an IBM thing?

Let me know if you have had any luck with finding a solution

Thanks

Jim