Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ubuntu club

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: ubuntu club

Quote Originally Posted by Abir
    guys i got the apporoval , and my Microprocessor Dr, is the faculty advisor, but i need posters and stuff can anyone provide me with them>>???
    Raid the gallery on this site? http://www.ubuntuforums.org/gallery/
    Registered Linux User #414888

Skills: Java, Python, LAMP, and eating a hamburger with chopsticks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Starting a linux club should be fine, regardless of any agreement your University has with Microsoft.

My University licenses lots of Microsoft software for academic use, and our campus desktops run Windows XP (with the exception of a few lone Macs).

However, we do have servers on campus that run Red-Hat Linux. We also have a HUGE local mirror that serves up lots of free software (tons of linux distributions and FOSS, its great). Makes downloading easy. We even have Ubuntu!

Plus our ACM has a special sub-group dedicated to GNU/Linux and Unix.

So just because your University has an agreement with Microsoft doesn't mean you can't use anything you want.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GreyFox503
    Starting a linux club should be fine, regardless of any agreement your University has with Microsoft.

My University licenses lots of Microsoft software for academic use, and our campus desktops run Windows XP (with the exception of a few lone Macs).

However, we do have servers on campus that run Red-Hat Linux. We also have a HUGE local mirror that serves up lots of free software (tons of linux distributions and FOSS, its great). Makes downloading easy. We even have Ubuntu!

Plus our ACM has a special sub-group dedicated to GNU/Linux and Unix.

So just because your University has an agreement with Microsoft doesn't mean you can't use anything you want.
    Maybe I didn't explain well... when they have a big agreement... I mean we have Microsof Seminar every 4 months... The Dean of my school actually sold us to Microsoft... they give us free softeare for educational purposes. so by the time we graduate we become dependent of their software to do the job...
    everything anti Microsoft would mean conflict of interest...

Anyway... BACK on topic....

I believe That we could all start Clubs... at our universities... don't you think... I am going for mine...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Moe is their leader.

SPECIAL ORDER 937: "NOSTROMO REROUTED TO NEW COORDINATES. INVESTIGATE LIFE FORM. GATHER SPECIMEN. PRIORITY ONE. INSURE RETURN OF ORGANISM FOR ANALYSIS. ALL OTHER CONSIDERATIONS SECONDARY. CREW EXPENDABLE."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by Efrain Valles
    Maybe I didn't explain well... when they have a big agreement... I mean we have Microsof Seminar every 4 months... The Dean of my school actually sold us to Microsoft... they give us free softeare for educational purposes. so by the time we graduate we become dependent of their software to do the job...
    everything anti Microsoft would mean conflict of interest...

Anyway... BACK on topic....

I believe That we could all start Clubs... at our universities... don't you think... I am going for mine...

A Microsoft Seminar?? 0_o

Our University does have a deal with Microsoft that allows students to download "free" MS software. (I put free in quotes because, of course, the school has to pay MS for the license, and we are paying for it indirectly).

I'm much more worried about the last part about becoming dependent on their software because that's what you are learning on. Thankfully the CS department at my school isn't completely Microsoft brainwashed. The courses use a variety of Operating Systems, languages, and development environments.

I also noticed that you are from Venezuela. I live in the United States, and have never been to Venezuela. In fact, I'm not confident that I could even find it on a map.

So your situation may be very different from mine. Maybe your Universities have different policies (it does sound like that).

Then an Ubuntu (or just Linux) club would become much more rebellious! Sounds like fun.

It troubles me that entire generations of youth (including CS students) are being educated on entirely Microsoft software. MS's strategy is brilliant: that is a sure-fire way to ensure you will continue to produce faithful supporters in all educated fields.

There are some people at my school who consistently want to use Visual Studio for their projects, even when it would provide no benefit (making a simple web page!), and they think that C# is the best language ever.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GreyFox503
    A Microsoft Seminar?? 0_o

Our University does have a deal with Microsoft that allows students to download "free" MS software. (I put free in quotes because, of course, the school has to pay MS for the license, and we are paying for it indirectly).

I'm much more worried about the last part about becoming dependent on their software because that's what you are learning on. Thankfully the CS department at my school isn't completely Microsoft brainwashed. The courses use a variety of Operating Systems, languages, and development environments.

I also noticed that you are from Venezuela. I live in the United States, and have never been to Venezuela. In fact, I'm not confident that I could even find it on a map.

So your situation may be very different from mine. Maybe your Universities have different policies (it does sound like that).

Then an Ubuntu (or just Linux) club would become much more rebellious! Sounds like fun.

It troubles me that entire generations of youth (including CS students) are being educated on entirely Microsoft software. MS's strategy is brilliant: that is a sure-fire way to ensure you will continue to produce faithful supporters in all educated fields.

There are some people at my school who consistently want to use Visual Studio for their projects, even when it would provide no benefit (making a simple web page!), and they think that C# is the best language ever.
    well... the school thinks that just because the OS they have used is Microsoft. it has a name and bla bla... they think it is the best in the market... (they know very little don't you think???) so the get them to come and tell us how to do things... I am smarter than that and I am into JAVA. PHP and MYSQL... I dropped Visual Studio back in 1999

Long live LINUX
    VIVA LA UBUNTU...

Ps. Venezuela is not that Unknown...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Thanks for the map of Venezuela.

I knew it had to be somewhere down there. At least I knew it was above Brazil.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123