Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ubuntu club

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Linux Club?

Quote Originally Posted by prizrak
    Well since everyone already gave you advice on how to start a club, Ima go for a different angle. Don't dual boot, it's a PITA
    Dual-booting's a PITA? I think it's quite simple, actually, as long as you've backed up your data and you install Grub to the MBR.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: ubuntu club

I moved this thread to the cafe.

Beans
    Hidden!

@ubuntu_demon you may want to merge this thread with this one http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=159775
    Advantages and Disadvantages of 64bit.(Plus install Guides)

‘In search of some small measure of peace, that we all seek, and few of us ever find.’

curuxz is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

I would love to do the same at my uni (southampton solent), maybe there could be a ubuntu ULUG?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by SD-Plissken
    @ubuntu_demon you may want to merge this thread with this one http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=159775
    thnx.
    done

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks for the move and the merge.

Yeah, if I'm going to be handing out cds to people who don't know a thing about linux, I'm going to be setting them up with a dual boot. No ifs ands or buts. Forcing people to use a program, especially when they may not be ready, definately isn't the way to get them to like it.

We did have a website that we had to use in my math class (oh yes, we had to draw parabolas on a computer) that really, actually was only IE compatable. I have a feeling that the website checked the browser and just refused to work if you didn't have and IE based browser, not that it couldn't work. Point is, apparently there are one or two classes like that at Berry. And... the windows is free. Each person will decide which they're use to what degree, but if they're just kinda curious and (hopefully) come up to the club for whatever reason, I'll start them off with a dualboot

This sounds like a DIY Marketing sorta thing.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    Dual-booting's a PITA? I think it's quite simple, actually, as long as you've backed up your data and you install Grub to the MBR.
    It's not difficult but it is a hassle. Say you go to a site that works only with IE or works better with Windows (every car manufacturer site I visited uses flash that doesn't work right with FF on Linux) you have to either remember to do it later or save your work, restart the system, choose the correct OS, wait for it to load, do w/e you needed to in Windows, rinse and repeat. Where is in VM you just start up the VM that boots you into Windows and you can go visit that site w/o interrupting your work. Starting newbies of on dual boot is a good idea but for a seasoned Linux user who doesn't need Windows for gaming just for some tasks like the ones OP described VM is a better solution.
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by prizrak
    It's not difficult but it is a hassle. Say you go to a site that works only with IE or works better with Windows (every car manufacturer site I visited uses flash that doesn't work right with FF on Linux) you have to either remember to do it later or save your work, restart the system, choose the correct OS, wait for it to load, do w/e you needed to in Windows, rinse and repeat. Where is in VM you just start up the VM that boots you into Windows and you can go visit that site w/o interrupting your work. Starting newbies of on dual boot is a good idea but for a seasoned Linux user who doesn't need Windows for gaming just for some tasks like the ones OP described VM is a better solution.
    Ah, I see! Not the setting up of the dual-boot--the actual use of it. Yes. I agree with that.

Beans

That sounds serious... is Using Microsoft windows THAT mandatory???
    wow I can't believe...

In my school they have something called Campus Agreement. and you can have Microsoft Software for real cheap prices... but they don't force us... Are you talking about the computer labs at your school???? wow...

I my school there is a Linux group... not very active and VERY ANTI DEBIAN... (I can't take it anymore The Devian vs KDE thing) so I have to make my club very guerrilla-like

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

guys i got the apporoval , and my Microprocessor Dr, is the faculty advisor, but i need posters and stuff can anyone provide me with them>>???

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast