Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Right click context menu too fast

Beans

Right click context menu too fast

I just upgraded from ubuntu 10.04 to 10.10 and noticed that right click stopped working on some applications.

Usually, there are two ways to select items on the right click context menu:
    a) press and release right click, hover over option, press and release again
    b) press and hold right click, hover over option, release right click

I lost option a). No matter how fast I press and release the right click button, it will select the first option on the menu as soon as I release it. So for example, the first option on the context menu on the chrome browser is "back". So if I try to open the context menu it will just go back. Because it selects the back option as soon as I release the right mouse button.

So far I only noticed this on Chrome and Eclipse. Firefox and the other default ubuntu apps are working properly.

Googling it, I found some other people with this issue, but no solution. Any idea what this could be about and how to fix it?
    Last edited by vibrunazo; October 14th, 2010 at 11:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Right click context menu too fast

Quote Originally Posted by vibrunazo View Post
    I just upgraded from ubuntu 10.04 to 10.10 and noticed that right click stopped working on some applications.

Usually, there are two ways to select items on the right click context menu:
    a) press and release right click, hover over option, press and release again
    b) press and hold right click, hover over option, release right click

I lost option a). No matter how fast I press and release the right click button, it will select the first option on the menu as soon as I release it. So for example, the first option on the context menu on the chrome browser is "back". So if I try to open the context menu it will just go back. Because it selects the back option as soon as I release the right mouse button.

So far I only noticed this on Chrome and Eclipse. Firefox and the other default ubuntu apps are working properly.

Googling it, I found some other people with this issue, but no solution. Any idea what this could be about and how to fix it?
    Annoying as hell. Happens to me also. You can add Skype and gnome easy tag on that list too. Specially skype is super annoying, you select a contact with your left click, and then you want to right click to select "chat" but instead, the right click happens so fast that it auto selects the first option, which is "call". So, i end up calling my contacts instead of text messaging.
    I never really searched for a solution for this, but yeah..it's a lot anoying
    Light a candle for the sinners...set the world on fire...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I don't know if I'm imagining this or not but I just turned the pointer sensitivity all the way down and it seems better. The number of new folders that I've created by accident in nautilus was really starting to get to me.

Beans

bump, I got this problem too.

Is there any way to disable the menu item select on right mouse button release?

It is extremely annoying especially when you are using a mouse with high dpi and sensitivity...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by geoffjay View Post
    I don't know if I'm imagining this or not but I just turned the pointer sensitivity all the way down and it seems better. The number of new folders that I've created by accident in nautilus was really starting to get to me.
    I've tried turning sensitivity down. But it doesn't do anything.

Does anyone have a solution for this yet?

Also, where is this bug on? Is it a gnome specific bug? Or an ubuntu specific bug? What does Skype, Chrome and Eclipse have in common? I have no idea where to report this bug to. :O

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This doesn't appear to be a gnome issue, I'm running in Mint 10 right now and am not having this problem.

I'm wondering if it's related to the mouse or the USB driver for it, I changed my mouse at work (32-bit Lucid) and it stopped.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vibrunazo View Post
    Also, where is this bug on? Is it a gnome specific bug? Or an ubuntu specific bug? What does Skype, Chrome and Eclipse have in common? I have no idea where to report this bug to. :O
    Is this the bug? https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s....0/+bug/681567

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by UpSignal View Post
    Annoying as hell. Happens to me also. You can add Skype and gnome easy tag on that list too. Specially skype is super annoying, you select a contact with your left click, and then you want to right click to select "chat" but instead, the right click happens so fast that it auto selects the first option, which is "call". So, i end up calling my contacts instead of text messaging.
    I never really searched for a solution for this, but yeah..it's a lot anoying
    Did any one got any solution to this issue ? Its really annoying ..

Beans

Bump..

I have exactly same problem, and its really annoying.. did any one find any solution.

Note:
    Its not ubuntu running inside vmware, I have installed ubuntu on a separate HDD.
    I am using logitech mouse with default driver provided by ubuntu
    Last edited by snimavat; February 1st, 2011 at 02:43 PM.

Beans

i've got the same issue, it's super annoying...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast