Thread: switching audio output

Beans
    Hidden!

switching audio output

Hi,

I just installed Kubuntu 10.10 Desktop, after a happy year of coexistence with Ubuntu, slowly edging away from Windows...I'd read a lot about the KDE vs. Gnome rivalry, and though I ought to check out Kubuntu for myself to see what it's like and check out what I may be missing out on

Being used to Gnome, as I am, it take a little getting used to some of the set up, but I'm slowly getting a feel for it, and am sure I'll continue to do so as time goes on. Yet I do have a couple of doubts...Leaving my life story aside, my question is:

I'm running a Clevo barebone with an external USB sound card that doesn't happen to have a headphones out plug. When I want my sound output through the speakers, I select the external sound card, and when I want to use headphones, I switch to the laptop's internal sound card and plug my headphones into the laptop's audio out minijack plug.

In Ubuntu, I'd simply click on the speaker icon on the panel, and from there I could select the desired output device. In Kubuntu, I clicked on "select master channel", thinking that established the output, but it's apparently not the case. The only way I've found changes to output is System Settings > Multimedia > Phonon > Device preference.

Is this the only way to switch, or is there an easier/faster way? Am I doing something wrong that has a blidingly obvious solution...?

Please be patient with me...I know no better...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: switching audio output

I don't use KDE, but do you know the name of the gui that you use to manage the audio outputs? can try and help you search for the answer
    Perseverance will succeed (usually)
    ubuntu user -32597 - linux user - 526569
    Wireless Info Script
    Blog

Beans
    Hidden!

. Kubuntu 10.10 uses pulseaudio...right? As to the GUI, I'm I'm not sure whether to answer "Phonon", "Solid" or "Kmix" (I'd say Phonon is the Gui. Sorry I can't be of more assistance, but my inexperience is quite a handicap...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonon_%28KDE%29
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_%28KDE%29
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3113598.0

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

That's cool...I'm new to this too....lets have a look
    Wireless Info Script
    Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

this looks interesting - http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/PulseAudio
    Wireless Info Script
    Blog

Beans
    Hidden!

Isn't pulse the audio server? I'm just looking for a quick gui option (that hopefully already exists within the kubuntu maverick meerkat) that'll allow me to switch between audio output sources...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

sorry...had a good rummidge and cant work out why you can't just plug in the headphones and find thatthey work..as you'd expect.

there are others here who know much more than me
    Wireless Info Script
    Blog

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks nonetheless, Hippytaff!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm a fairly new user, but I'm not sure that Kubuntu has PulseAudio installed by default. A brief net lookup says it uses Phonon, but not PulseAudio --> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1365016 .

I mention this due to a brief trial of Linux Mint KDE, and couldn't get the sounds from Emesene and a YouTube video to function at the same time. I'd be watching YouTube, and if someone messaged I would get no more sound from YouTube. I never did figure it out - I found it too hard to find documentation on the "oddball" KDE version of Mint vs. the regular Gnome version so I ended up coming back to regular old Ubuntu.

Maybe a new search of Phonon would help shed some light on your issue? Wish I had more help to offer... Good luck!