Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Set a custom firewall (iptables) and Tips [Beginners edition]

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HOWTO: Set a custom firewall (iptables) and Tips [Beginners edition]

frodon, I'm an iptable noob, could you create a rule for me that will allow absolutely anything in and out? I just wanna test if it is working at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Admirable, well prepared work --- a boon to Ubuntu users like myself (Gutsy 7.10) everywhere!

I have a Home LAN with eight systems running on switches and wireless bridges as well as one wifi laptop. The service provider is Verizon DSL and is routed through a Linksystems device. I've had trouble controlling Firestarter and would like to switch to custom management of iptables.

Question: What is the code for trusting a range of dynamically assigned intranet IP addresses as in 192.168.2.0 through 192.168.2.255? IOW, how is the local LAN trusted?

Thanks in advance,

-met
    Catz3705

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

iptables -A TRUSTED -p tcp -s 192.168.2.* -j ACCEPT should do it i think.

@AlexC_, removing "-i ***" should have done that anyway if you want to stop the firewal type sudo /etc/init.d/firewall stop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks frodon:

Quote Originally Posted by frodon View Post
    iptables -A TRUSTED -p tcp -s 192.168.2.* -j ACCEPT should do it i think.

@AlexC_, removing "-i ***" should have done that anyway if you want to stop the firewal type sudo /etc/init.d/firewall stop

I'll certainly give this code a try. Firestarter on my Gutsy machine blocks my network machines and won't remain stopped. Even the XP firewalled machines don't remain stable eventhough the LAN IP's are set to be trusted. The Gutsy platform is a training deck and as such, can be sacrificial as needs be.

I appreciate the prompt response,

-met-
    Catz3705

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

And if you know the computers of your network you have still the opportunity to filter using MAC address or if you want even more security you can use both but it may become long to write all these rules

BTW in the line i gave you i forgot the -i eth0, so it would be more something like :
    Code:
    iptables -A TRUSTED -i eth0 -p tcp -s 192.168.2.* -j ACCEPT

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

frodon:

Quote Originally Posted by frodon View Post
    And if you know the computers of your network you have still the opportunity to filter using MAC address or if you want even more security you can use both but it may become long to write all these rules

BTW in the line i gave you i forgot the -i eth0, so it would be more something like :
    Code:
    I kinda figured that out when executing the code returned an error message that the host could not be found. Also in my case, the additional note about stopping Firestarter needed to be changed to read: /etc/init.d/firestarter stop.

Security is not too big an issue since the home LAN is not exposed to the wild. The internet only sees the IP address set by the provider and the wireless system does not broadcast the network SID.

The other main task has been to get the Gutsy platform to see the Windows shares and the Windows machines be able to see and write to selected Gutsy shares. I' ve just about got that working correctly.

I plan to convert one of the other XP platforms to Ubuntu 7.10 or 8.04 and make sure that the two Linux platforms can read and write to each other as well as relating to the rest of the LAN. The ultimate object will be to take all but two machines off Windows.

Thanks again for taking your valuable time to post the correction,

-met-
    Catz3705
    Last edited by Catz3705; March 29th, 2008 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Typo correction

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You're welcome

If you choose to use this script you should uninstall firestarter completely to avoid problems as it configures iptables too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

frodon:

The recognition problem is persistant. Disengaging (stopping) firestarter allows the local LAN pc's to see each other and exchange data. (I did discover from other posts that the when Firestarter is stopped, the GUI should be minimized and not turned off.)

Code:

Executing the above code results in the error message :

"iptables v1.3.6: host/network `192.168.2.*' not found"

Is it possible that the network host/router at 192.168.1.1 or the workgroup is not being referenced?

With iptables/Firestarter turned off the network shares including the Gutsy platform are interactively visible.

Your views. . .?

-met-
    Catz3705
    Last edited by Catz3705; March 30th, 2008 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Typo correction

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

frodon:

Additional note:

Is it possible that the network host/router at 192.168.1.1 or the workgroup is not being referenced?
    The network router dynamically assigns IP address 192.168.2.100 thru 192.168.2.255 to members of the workgroup and Windows pc's.

FYI,

-met-
    Catz3705

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It's the main problem with dynamic adresses and home network. I think the rule i gave you doesn't work but i'm sure allowing a range of IP is possible with iptables.

You can try that, i never tested this though :
    Code:
    iptables -A TRUSTED -i eth0 -m iprange --src-range 192.168.2.100-192.168.2.255 -j ACCEPT

Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast