Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Set a custom firewall (iptables) and Tips [Beginners edition]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: HOWTO: Set a custom firewall (iptables) and Tips [Beginners edition]

Quote Originally Posted by frodon View Post
    You shouldn't need it, azureus just require you to open the chosen azureus port in the TRUSTED chain.
    OK. Thank you for your help, and the clarification on the rules. I will try something else to fix my azureus problem.

Beans

Hi.
    Thanks for your excellent tutorial and script, worked like a charm.
    However, I have a question - what about IPv6? I mean, iptables is for IPv4 only. My sshd listens on tcp6 port 22 (actually I changed that, but suppose it stayed that way), so assuming my router lets IPv6 through) is it possible that actually anyone can try to connect to that port? iptables is not blocking that. I think I have seen ip6tables mentioned somewhere. If it exists, is there any good reason why does it not come with Ubuntu as a default? IPv6 does, so shouldn't some protection for it too?
    Should I have IPv6 enabled anyways? I do have that now, but is this necessary ? (I haven't experienced any delays in network usage with firefox or any other app)
    Thanks you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm not sure ip6tables is included yet in ubuntu, will check this once at home.

It is at my job on RedHat.

Beans

Do i need to do anything special for virtualbox shared folders and printing between Ubuntu and the Virtual OS (in my case XP pro)...

Here is what I did...not sure if its correct:

#Allow printing from Virtualbox
    iptables -A TRUSTED -p tcp -m tcp --dport 9100 -j ACCEPT

I am not sure if I should use 9100 or 631 or if either is even neccessary or correct. (I can't test this for awhile as I am away from these printers). But the Virtualbox shared folders seem to work without even doing anything...shouldn't I not be able to access this folder without permissions in my firewall.bash script. Furthermore, do I need to allow an IP from the Virtual machine (mine reads the gateway as 10.0.2.2 and the ip as 10.2.2.15)

Lastly running nmap brought up these open ports...is this opening up my system to anything? I am not even sure if I use telnet:
    PORT STATE SERVICE VERSION
    23/tcp open telnet?
    80/tcp open tcpwrapped
    8080/tcp open tcpwrapped

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Don't forget that using nmap to test your computer you must run it from another computer to get real results.
    About virtual box i don't really know, i would say test and see how it works

Beans

Don't forget that using nmap to test your computer you must run it from another computer to get real results.
    About virtual box i don't really know, i would say test and see how it works

Shouldn't I close up that telnet port if I don't use it? Or do I use it and I don't it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you use the script given on first post then this port is already closed, that's why i asked how you used nmap to be sure it didn't report false positive.

Beans

If you use the script given on first post then this port is already closed, that's why i asked how you used nmap to be sure it didn't report false positive.
    I just typed my ip address (which I got off shields up) into the target and hit "scan" Didn't touch anything else.

I should I also mention I am going through a wireless router, so I am not sure if that effects anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Sure it effects if you use shields up, if you configured your router as NAT then shields up is testing your router not your computer.

That's the main problem when testing your firewall, anyway that means that you are even more protected because your router already restrict the number of ports forwarded to your computer.

If you want to test through nmap, you must test your firewall running nmap from another computer on your local network otherwise you may get wrong results.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have followed the guide exactly as instructed, bar adding one or two ports to allow.

But get the following error:

Code:
    $ sudo /etc/init.d/firewall start
    Iptables rules creation: iptables: Invalid argument
     [End iptables rules setting]
    Any suggestions?
    Internets //<http://www.stevey.eu>
    Advice given with no warranty implied. Results are the users own responsibility.
    Paragraphs, spelling, and grammar. All very useful, please use them. It makes reading much easier.
    Disable the PC Speaker!

Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast