Thread: Adobe flash not working properly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Adobe flash not working properly

Hi,

Flash player doesn't seem to work for sites other than youtube. (eg. I get a 'please update flash' message on Myspace) I tried using Flash-aid as recommended on a sticky, but this hasn't worked. (I reloaded firefox and rebooted the laptop.) I checked in package manager and it seems I have the most recent one installed.

I'm using 8.04 Hardy, and I'm not very good with computers (as you may have guessed) so please be gentle with me.

If you have any suggestions, thanks in advance!

Clare

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Adobe flash not working properly

I believe your problem is that your old system doesn't support newer flash programs. (Hardy is from April 2008) I would suggest upgrading your system to 9.10 or 10.4. I think that will solve your problems.
    Sopy Vaio Laptop: Dual Core Intel Processor, 2GB ram, 160GB hard drive + Lucid Lynx = one heck of a system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I thought that might be a possibility, but I was hoping it wasn't! Laptop = elderly.

Thank you though. I'll upgrade to a long term support option, because, as you can tell I don't like upgrading (technophobe!)

Cheers,

Clare

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Angelic_fruitcake View Post
    Laptop = elderly.
    Consider switching to Lubuntu 10.10. It is a Ubuntu derivative and was actually developed to be used on "elderly" hardware.

I am currently using it on what I consider an elderly system, and it is working fine.

It uses the same repositories as Ubuntu and there is a "lubuntu-restricted-extras" package to give you Flash and a lot of other good stuff.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu#Get%20Lubuntu

Forget it, Jake, it's Linux (apologies to Robert Towne)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Haha - wow! That is made of awesome Thanks for that. What a splendid idea. Should be called Oldbuntu or something though

I think I'll just have to admit that I need a new laptop though - the number of times it has crashed this week because it didn't like me opening too many tabs...

Cheers all!

C