Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SADMS Active Directory cached logins: Samba 3.4.7 / Kubuntu 10.04.1

Beans

Question SADMS Active Directory cached logins: Samba 3.4.7 / Kubuntu 10.04.1

Hello

I've been banging my head on this for a week... I finally got AD login working, but I can't get cached logins working.

I installed SADMS, let it configure everything, and though I can now login, I still cannot login as my AD username when my machine is not connected to the AD network. I need to be able to login at home, connect to the VPN (if I can ever get that working), then sign on to services at work using my AD username.

Also, I cannot login to local accounts when the system is not connected to the AD network.

Plus, home drive mapping is not working, our shares are \\FILESERVER\user\user\[I]username[I] so this does not work.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

UPDATE: I installed likewise-open, and now I can't login unless I use the full domain name when logging in via ssh, but I cannot login on the desktop, which is not what I want, now my username doesn't match the previous UID mapping, and my home directory is mapped to /home/likewise-open/DOMAIN/user, instead of /home/DOMAIN/user, like it was before.
    Last edited by ubuntique; October 14th, 2010 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Update

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: SADMS Active Directory cached logins: Samba 3.4.7 / Kubuntu 10.04.1

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntique View Post
    UPDATE: I installed likewise-open, and now I can't login unless I use the full domain name when logging in via ssh, but I cannot login on the desktop, which is not what I want, now my username doesn't match the previous UID mapping, and my home directory is mapped to /home/likewise-open/DOMAIN/user, instead of /home/DOMAIN/user, like it was before.
    ubuntique,

Likewise-Open generates a UID for AD users that's based on the ID provided by AD. If you want your OLD home directory to work you need to change the ownership on the contents of that director to reflect the AD user's UID.

Custom defined UID's is a feature of their Enterprise product so if you're just using open you have to stick with the UID generated on your DC.

If my suspicion is correct you are trying to use your old home directory with your new AD account and the previous files, including all those files used to initialize your environment are owned by the old UID. You'll need to chown those files so that they are owned by the new user.

> chown -R username:group /PATH/TO/DIRECTORY

There is also a setting in Likewise-Open that allows you to tell your clients to assume the default domain when logging in. You will want to assume your /etc/passwd file does not have users of the same name if you do this.

The lwconfig tool that ships with likewise open can be used to set this value.

> sudo lwconfig AssumeDefaultDomain true

You can find more detasails on installation, setup and troubleshooting here:

http://www.likewise.com/resources/do...ml#quick-start
    Last edited by atworkwithjf; October 14th, 2010 at 06:09 PM.

Beans

Thanks, I would have tried lwconfig, except it does not exist. I read the documentation and couldn't find anything on how to fix these problems.

Also, my system is running E-X-T-R-E-M-E-L-Y S-L-O-W since I installed Likewise.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntique View Post
    Thanks, I would have tried lwconfig, except it does not exist. I read the documentation and couldn't find anything on how to fix these problems.

Also, my system is running E-X-T-R-E-M-E-L-Y S-L-O-W since I installed Likewise.
    Which version are you running?

The version from the Likewise Open site is now up to version 6. I'd absolutely suggest you update to that. I have not done an upgrade so I'd uninstall the old repo version and then use the likewise installer.

I'd also make sure your DNS is working as it should, that can cause all sorts of issues. Use the usual tools (nslookup and dig) to insure your host resolution (forward and reverse) is as it should be.

If it's not there's certainly going to be issues.

Just be aware that if you're using the version form Likewise's site it will install into /opt/likewise/ (as it's not in the base distro) as per the usual standards.

Let me know if your dns is working and if you continue to have issues I'll be happy to help.

Beans

I installed the version listed in kpackagekit, 5.4. I am trying to login now, but the system is acting very strange and won't display the desktop. The DNS is working, I didn't have any problem logging in with AD before I installed likewise. I will try uninstalling it and installing the latest version, but I think I may just install fedora 13. I will let you know how that works.

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!

ubuntique,

I'd strongly suggest upgrading to the newest version 6.0.8269 from the Likewise Website. There are some fixes in there you'll probably want.

It's odd that you're having UI issues, that's generally indicative of permissions on the home dir.

Can you better describe your machine configuration scenario? Is the account you are working with on a network mounted home directory? Is the user ID in AD the same as some previous user ID in the local passwd file?

Cheers

Beans

I decided to try fedora 13... My kubuntu system became so unstable that I couldn't login to the desktop at all.

I had created a different username for local login. The AD account name was the same, I didn't have any local entries for it.

Thanks for your responses.

Beans
    Hidden!

That's too bad, although I have a Fedora 13 system here running LWO without issue and numerous Ubuntu machines from 9.04 to 10.04, all joined to my 2008r2 Domain Controller and all are quite happy and very stable. I am however running the current release, 6.0-8269 from their website, not the downrev version from the repo.

Hard to say what's causing the issues on kubuntu, I have no experience with KDE since the 3.4 days, so perhaps there's something there that's causing the issues. Hopefully you'll have better luck with F13.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by atworkwithjf View Post
    That's too bad, although I have a Fedora 13 system here running LWO without issue and numerous Ubuntu machines from 9.04 to 10.04, all joined to my 2008r2 Domain Controller and all are quite happy and very stable. I am however running the current release, 6.0-8269 from their website, not the downrev version from the repo.

Hard to say what's causing the issues on kubuntu, I have no experience with KDE since the 3.4 days, so perhaps there's something there that's causing the issues. Hopefully you'll have better luck with F13.
    Thanks again for your help. I did install F13, and I followed the prompts to enable AD authentication when I first logged in. First off, that didn't work at all, then, there is no way to set the root password, so now I have to boot to a rescue system to edit the passwd file... so frustrating. I could try lwo, but I'm afraid it will just screw everything up like it did on Kubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!

Ubuntique,

That's truly remarkable.

I installed a Fedora 13 machine, ran the updates with yum (as root), configured my network and pointed my dns to my DC and then installed the software following the instructions and was able to join both my Win2000 DC and my Win2008r2 DC after unjoining the older one without any issue.

I just can't imagine why you're having issues.

Perhaps you can be a bit more specific about the exact steps you took when setting up your machine. You really aren't giving anyone anything to work with here other than saying it doesn't work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast