Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VNC keyboard issue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

VNC keyboard issue

I just upgraded to 10.10 today on my web-server. I normally access it remotely via VNC through a SSH tunnel.

Unfortunately now whenever I'm trying to type something involving the letter 'd' all the windows minimize. Capitol 'D' is not an issue.

I remember when I upgraded to 10.04 there was a similar odd behaviour for both the letters m and s which was resolved by adding the following code to my vnc xstartup file:

export XKL_XMODMAP_DISABLE=1

I tried removing this line and restarting my VNC server with no success. 'd' still causes minimization of all the windows on my desktop.

I'm running vnc4server.

Access from the console is not plagued with this issue. (But it is tedious having to call in for a server vault visit!)

Anybody have any thoughts/ideas on how to resolve this annoying bug?

As far as my server goes, the upgrade went without a hitch except for this one. Try typing sudo a few times when your moving web folders around in /var/www and see how annoying this bug is!

I've tried VNC clients on different platforms to eliminate that issue. I did also try the native GNOME VNC server to the console and that works fine too, but console VNC is not an option since this machine lives in a server vault... It is secure, but having an open session is not the way you do things!

Somebody please help!

Beans

Re: VNC keyboard issue

I am having the exact same problem It's become a real pain to have to "copy" the letter D and then paste it whenever I need to type it in.

I have found that the keyboard combo "Windows-Logo"+d will have the same effect. It's almost as if VNC considers the logo key constantly depressed, except that only seems to affect the 'd' key.

The problem is the same when connecting from both Windows and other Linux boxes.

Beans

Unhappy Re: VNC keyboard issue

I am also having this issue, and it is a real pain. I found that there is a bug filed under launchpad, #655886, labeled "Remote access to vncserver keyboard mapping". So hasn't there been anyone that has solved this issue?

Beans

I ran into this same problem today.

As a work-around:

System->Preferences->Keyboard Shortcuts

Scroll down to "Hide all normal windows and set focus to the desktop", click to highlight, and hit the backspace key to set the shortcut to "Disabled".

I am not sure why this is defaulting to the "d" key, but it certainly is a nuisance.

Beans
    Distro

That trick didn't work for me. It still minimizes everything.

Beans

Smile Re: VNC keyboard issue

It DID work for me. Thanks! I figured it must be some keyboard shortcut default, but I really didn't know where to look. Whoo whee!!

-Dan

Beans
    Distro

I tried it again and set it to something, then set it to something else, then back to disabled.

Now it does work! PHEW!

Thanks for the kludge.

Beans

This was very annoying for a while. It only seemed to happen on screens through VNC that were not the main desktop ie. :1 :2 screens etc.

To get the fix to work I had to make sure the shortcut stayed as showing "Disabled" and I restarted VNC.

Sorted.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ksuxtc View Post
    I ran into this same problem today.

As a work-around:

System->Preferences->Keyboard Shortcuts

Scroll down to "Hide all normal windows and set focus to the desktop", click to highlight, and hit the backspace key to set the shortcut to "Disabled".

I am not sure why this is defaulting to the "d" key, but it certainly is a nuisance.
    It worked for me... sorta.

I don't have a "Keyboard Shortcuts" under System->Preferences. I had to go System->Control Center->Keyboard Shortcuts. After that, the instructions were spot on.

Changes did not take effect until after I restarted the VNC session.

Thanx for the tip!

Beans

Worked a treat but had to kill VnC Server first... Thanks dude!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast