Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where's my beloved Gnomad2 in 10.10?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Exclamation where's my beloved Gnomad2 in 10.10?

Hi folks.
    Yesterday I did the Great Leap and upgraded to Ubuntu 10.10 (from Jaunty). Everything ok, even the microphone worked and java apps are working fine. Some odd problems with the Executable bit but i worked around that (I'm not the usual MicroUser and I know what i do, most of the time).

The problem came when i searched the software centre (that froze over trying to install NetHack-x11, LOL) for Gnomad2 or something that could substitute, although i'd rather stick with it, in using my Zen Micro, a 6-years-old mp3 player, but with the new battery paid 11€ he returned magically to the rocking days when it was right out-of-the-box.

Nothing found, so i downloaded the source of gnomad2 2.9.4, trying to compile it by myself. OPs, i can't find dependencies: libnjb (>=2.2.4) and gtk+-2.0 (>=...?).

libnjb is available in synaptic, but executing ./configure still gives me the message that libnjb is missing.

searching for gtk+-2.0 throws me in a jungle of packages. too much for me

what's not working? i've read about a malfunctioning version of Gnomad2, but the bigger problem is that Gnomad2 isn't supported anymore - but it worked greatly.

thanks for answering!
    Max

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: where's my beloved Gnomad2 in 10.10?

You could try downloading and installing the Lucid version from here. Scroll down to Download Gnomad2 and click on the i386 or amd64 and then select a server close to you, to download the deb file. I don't think you will have any dependency problems, but if you want, try installing the following packages beforehand, just to be sure:
    • libnjb5
    • libtagc0
    • libid3tag0
    • libmtp8

use synaptic or in 1 command, just give:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libnjb5 libtagc0 libid3tag0 libmtp8
    Hope that helps.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Wink Re: where's my beloved Gnomad2 in 10.10?

hi again!

I bring both good and bad news from here.
    The bad news are that gnomad2, even when installed from the .deb package (thanks kostkon for showing me another part of the ubuntu database that i didn't know about) won't work. It starts up, but it closes. this for the last 2 version i found of it. 2.8 doesn't work, has a dependency problem with libmtp7 (i have libmtp8 installed, seems isn't compatible). I think it's a known bug, but in my nooby mind came this:

libMTP = library for Media Transfer Protocol?

seems that my ZEN supports smallsoft's MTP ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Zen#ZEN_Micro ), let's see if maverick can do that...

here the good news: everything seems alright when i physically connect the player. Nautilus open up and i can see the main directory of my player. I found that i can copy-and-paste folders and single songs in the "my Music" folder of the device and it worked perfectly. So, no need for Gnomad2 anymore it seems.

thumps up for maverick...for now (never relax, community!). there was a little mess up when mounting/unmounting the ZEN and other HDs, owever, but I tried more times and didn't happened anymore, so I think it was just a WTF moment between pluggin/unplugging devices.

my only worries now go to the filesystem, gphoto2, of my ZEN. I wonder if copy-and-paste operations from nautilus could mess up something inside my little music box, and if i can do something to preserve it!

thanks again to everyone who will reply!
    Max

Beans

I'm also crying onto my Creative Zen!

Awambawanmb(??) did you unmount your ZEN before opening Gnomad-if not,it wont work.

eddier

Beans

Thumbs down Re: where's my beloved Gnomad2 in 10.10?

Hi folks,

I found a way to get Gnomad2 working in Maverick.

Uninstall libmtp8 with synaptic. It will take a few dependencies with it but this is OK.

Re-install libmtp8 and Gnomad2 from Karmic sources. This worked for me in Lucid also.

Plug in Zen, unmount and then fire up Gnomad2. It works as it should.

I hope this helps other suffering Zen users.

BA

Beans

Red face Re: where's my beloved Gnomad2 in 10.10?

That will teach me to look before I post!

I have done persactly what you have done only to have problems with the mount/unmount part,the ZEN goes into play mode when unmounted. I suspect during attempts to get some usability going I have installed something that is causing this behaviour.

I dont think my keyboard can stand much more headbutting!

eddie

Beans

For those of you who are lazy:

Hit your Synaptic Package Manager, search Libmtp8 and remove it.
    If your running a amd64 download these two and install with Ubuntu Software Center:
    http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/poo...ntu2_amd64.deb
    http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/poo...ntu1_amd64.deb

If 386:
    http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/poo...untu1_i386.deb
    http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/poo...untu2_i386.deb

Plug it in, Unmount it, Fire up Gnomad2 and watch the magic!

Beans

I was sad to see that Gnomad2 was gone, but then I noticed that for the first time my creative zen works with Rhythmbox. Shocker!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: where's my beloved Gnomad2 in 10.10? - forget gnomad, use gtkam!

Hello guys, I too was looking for gnomad2 in maverick, but I found a better solution..gtkam ! Its used to fetch pictures from cameras, but it works perfectly for my zen-v (and better than gnomad2 from what I remember).

Just install gtkam, connect your device, go to 'camera->add camera' then click 'detect'. It worked for me.

The full details are here:

http://lucky13linux.wordpress.com/20...n-the-mtp-cat/

later.

Beans

GTkam seems to be fine for LOOKING at whats on the device,but there doesnt seem to be any means to upload to it!

I thought i had cracked it with QLIX,but once again transfer to the device (creative ZEN) doesnt seem to be possible! Damn.

eddie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast