Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: [Howto] Asus T91MT and Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick)

Beans

Re: [Howto] Asus T91MT and Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick)

To #29:

I have exactly the same problem in Ubuntu 10.10. But I try 10.04 netbook edition and it work fine. The GMA500 and wifi both work correctly.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by megahjt View Post
    I got some problems on my ubuntu 10.04 netbook edition with T91MT:

1. The screen brightless (Fn + F3/F4) is not work

2. The touch screen is only single touch supported after I install the multitouch pack.

3. When I play mp3 or wan file. The player crash and give an error message: failed to create output image buffer of 409x240 pixels.

4. Is there a screen keyboard in ubuntu?

Could someone help me out?

A very good on screen keyboard is cellwriter. And a good note taking journal is xournal. Cellwriter has a handwriting recognition component as well. Both are in the default repositories.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by megahjt View Post
    I got some problems on my ubuntu 10.04 netbook edition with T91MT:

1. The screen brightless (Fn + F3/F4) is not work

2. The touch screen is only single touch supported after I install the multitouch pack.

3. When I play mp3 or wan file. The player crash and give an error message: failed to create output image buffer of 409x240 pixels.

4. Is there a screen keyboard in ubuntu?

Could someone help me out?
    1. Make sure you add the options "acpi_backlight=vendor acpi_osi=Linux" options to /etc/default/grub in the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT variable and do a 'update-grub'
    2. No multitouch support yet.
    3. No idea, works fine for me. Maybe try a different player. Or reinstall.
    4. Try the following: onboard (my favourite), xvkbd, cellwriter (mainly does handwriting recognition, but also had a keyboard option), matchbox-keyboard, (also some kde ones, kvkbd, klavier and plasma-widget-plasmaboard).

Also give easystroke a go, it does gesture recognition. Very useful to bind one for things like, alt+f4, close-tab in browsers, open a terminal, new browser window and so on. I started to use it on my desktop now too.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by H3g3m0n View Post
    Also give easystroke a go, it does gesture recognition. Very useful to bind one for things like, alt+f4, close-tab in browsers, open a terminal, new browser window and so on. I started to use it on my desktop now too.

Yes, easystroke is great for getting around the missing right mouse click/long press when using the touchscreen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

When I update the package list after adding the chasedouglas repository, apt fails to fetch a number of the packages (with appropriate error messages). Then I get the following message when I try to install multitouch-kernel-source:

E: Unable to locate package multitouch-kernel-source

Any idea why apt can't find it?

Beans
    Hidden!

I don't know if anyone else here read this on the kernel mailing list, it's from october, but it seems that there is a patch for the mosart kernel driver, which should mean that we'll be able to use it rather than hid quirks mode..

http://www.mail-archive.com/multi-to.../msg00544.html

Point #2 explains the odd behaviour when the mosart driver was enabled(rather than relying on hiddev's built in touchscreen handling)... So this is great news for t91mt owners once multitouch is sorted out on the userspace end.

Beans
    Hidden!

alright, good news, I've applied the patches from Benjamin tissories, disabled the multitouch quirk, and lsmod confirms that I'm now using the mosart driver for the touch screen.

I've attached the patched files if you want to give it a try.. but you will need to do a dpkg-reconfigure on the package..

the files go in /usr/src/multitouch-1.555/drivers/hid
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Hidden!

more good news..

twofing works.. almost, it crashes after a few gestures, but it does briefly work, kinetic scrolling and all..

One thing about twofing though, the udev rule needs to be modified to attach to the t91mt's touchscreen, which is device id 0185.

update: I've been investigating twofing a bit, maybe I can get it functioning properly, of note, the id's for the fingers on the t91mt's screen are 1 and 2, as opposed to egalax's 0 and 1..

update 2: modifying twofing to use id's 1 and 2 makes gestures function properly, still segfaults though.

update 3: twofing's segmentation fault seems to be due to a corrupt char.. the blacklist somehow gets corrupted.. needs to be re-built each time the "isWindowBlacklistedForGestures" function is called, otherwise we get a segmentation fault.. Anyone got any ideas? I have uploaded the modified source
    Last edited by jtjs; December 10th, 2010 at 02:56 AM. Reason: removed attachment.. it's now redundant

Beans
    Hidden!

T91MT owners: you should add the utouch PPA and install the hid-mosart-dkms package, it contains the patched mosart kernel module, which has functional multitouch.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:utouch-team/utouch
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install hid-mosart-dkms

After that, you will be able to take advantage of any multitouch apps that are released, this ppa is maintained by ubuntu devs who are working on multitouch, so, hopefully there will be some nice things showing up there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by _integer_ View Post
    When I update the package list after adding the chasedouglas repository, apt fails to fetch a number of the packages (with appropriate error messages). Then I get the following message when I try to install multitouch-kernel-source:

E: Unable to locate package multitouch-kernel-source

Any idea why apt can't find it?
    The chasedouglas ppa was for Lucid. Maverick uses a .deb file from the other thread linked in the first post or better yet the PPA above.

That PPA seems to be working well for me, although it took 2 installs to work for some reason.

I haven't had any problems with twofing crashing yet, but I havn't been using it long and I don't really know how to use it yet.

I also made a new multitouch-kernel-source 1.556 using the above patches, not much use now there is a PPA but might be some use to someone.
    Last edited by H3g3m0n; December 8th, 2010 at 04:41 PM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast