Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WiFi keeps asking me for password even though it is correct

Beans

Re: WiFi keeps asking me for password even though it is correct

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    Given how many times you've said "I will have to go back to windows", you should probably go back to windows.
    I really want to stick to Ubuntu, but it is a bit hard without any internet access .... My WiFi was working great for 1-2 weeks after I installed Ubuntu but now it won't even connect ... like at all...

I want to keep going back to windows as a very last resort, only if I absolutely have to

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Can you not gain access to the router 'at all'? Your Dad can always reset the password again afterwards.

Beans

I can't gain access to my router or access point, so it is not possible for me to change the encryption type - the most I can do is try to fix the problem at the source

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The problem is, the source might not be Ubuntu. I've had issues with wireless access points that worked fine on one OS, but wouldn't connect with iphones or other kit (kept asking for the password) - simply because the channel or encryption type was causing problems.

Short of deleting the access point in Ubuntu and adding it manually, I don't know what to suggest. You could try installing wicd. and use that to connect.

Beans

I've tried deleting the entry for it and reconnecting but the password box keeps popping up asking me to enter it ...

Oh and I can't really install anything since I have no internet on it

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Can you not plug a cable in?

Beans

No I cannot as I have no spare cables. I hope this problem gets fixed soon though because I want to keep using Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You could download wicd as a deb, but there may well be dependencies. You're pretty much stuck unless you can plug in the machine, or get access to the router.

It's not necessarily an Ubuntu-specific fault, and you're working with one hand tied behind your back.

Beans

While searching around for a spare cable I found a USB wifi dongle, and I plugged this into my netbook and I got the password prompt and after I entered the password prompt, success. It works.

But the original problem is still alive. Well I did some googling and found a page which recommends I installed the following package

Code:
    aptitude install linux-backports-modules-wireless-lucid-generic
    I installed it, and restarted and took the USB wifi dongle out and it connected with my original netbook card, so it works!!!

This problem has been solved (For now). If it stops working again ill either post in this thread or made a new one. Thanks for all the help guys. It is much appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Glad it works. I've had issues with wireless on an old laptop, but I can always get it working with a wired connection, followed by an update.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12