Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Free Web Hosting?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Best Free Web Hosting?

What is the "best" free web host you know of? I have this awesome site built, however, I can only view it on my laptop - as I can't seem to find a good free host. I've tried a lot of them. I need one that allows a lot of different file extensions. I do need to have FTP access to it, cause that's how i'll be uploading my files. I don't care if it has cPanel too or not. And also, no banners or ads. So, I ask you, through experience, who is the best free web host? (Also, if you have your own server and you'd be willing to host my site - less than 10MB right now - then please PM me!!!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Best Free Web Hosting?

Well I can personally recommend freehostia as pretty good, the ftp can be a little wonky but once you know how to do it, it is very easy. Also a really cheap hoster is hole in the wall hosting which comes with super high reviews from the people I know that use it.

Beans
    Distro

Freehosia requires you to already have a domain name doesn't it? I don't have one. Is there an option to use a sub-domain such as blahblahblah.freehostia.com? I didn't see that option.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by GrantStoner View Post
    Freehosia requires you to already have a domain name doesn't it? I don't have one. Is there an option to use a sub-domain such as blahblahblah.freehostia.com? I didn't see that option.
    I think it does... it says:

FREE

Domains Hosted 5
    Sub-domains 15

According to this page: http://www.freehostia.com/hosting.html

If not then... buu that stinks you need to own a domain to use the free hosting there

I think with this you can do a free domain thing from here: http://www.nic.cz.cc/index.php?ref=Amaresh
    And probably use it with freehosia.. that is if freehosia doesn't give any
    Last edited by sendblink23; October 13th, 2010 at 06:15 AM.
    Desktop Build mobo: MSI 790FX-GD70 | cpu: Phenom ii x4 965BE C3 @ 4.02Ghz | gfx: Sapphire + XFX 5770 CrossfireX + EVGA 9800GTX+
    ram: 8gb DDR3-1333Mhz | hd: 1TB (Windows 7 Ultimate x64) + 500gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.7) + 400gb (Kubuntu 11.04 x64)

Beans

Why not use no-ip or dyndns or some such outfit and redirect url requests to a server running on your machine? It's about $10/year to mask the url so that users don't see a numeric domain name and port #. I use no-ip because they can port redirect.
    Debian Stable
    FluxBox
    Mark Your Thread Solved

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Barriehie View Post
    Why not use no-ip or dyndns or some such outfit and redirect url requests to a server running on your machine? It's about $10/year to mask the url so that users don't see a numeric domain name and port #. I use no-ip because they can port redirect.
    Randomly asking(since I've never set up a server) won't he need his computer running 24/7 for that?
    Desktop Build mobo: MSI 790FX-GD70 | cpu: Phenom ii x4 965BE C3 @ 4.02Ghz | gfx: Sapphire + XFX 5770 CrossfireX + EVGA 9800GTX+
    ram: 8gb DDR3-1333Mhz | hd: 1TB (Windows 7 Ultimate x64) + 500gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.7) + 400gb (Kubuntu 11.04 x64)

Beans
    Distro

Well, if freehostia does allow you to do that, then I can't figure it out for the life of me. Any other suggestions?

Beans
    Distro

Oh, and $10 is too much. I'm looking for FREE. Even $0.01 is too much in this case. But thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

A domain name registration in Australia costs around $45 for 2 years, and that is for a .com.au domain name. You can get .com and .net even cheaper.

Is AU$45 too much for 2 years?
    "Strive to be the person your dog thinks you are"

Beans
    Distro

Yes, that is too much. I'm not looking to have a domain name - I'm completely ok with a sub-domain by the host. This site I made is small, and mostly only friends and family will be looking at it, that's why I don't want to put money into it. Maybe if it was a big site or something.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast