Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wicd 1.7 - wireless - Connection Failed: Bad Password

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: wicd 1.7 - wireless - Connection Failed: Bad Password

I have had the same problem when upgrading to lucid Lynx. (Network manager gnome continuously connecting/disconnecting the wifi, so unusable)

Wicd asked for root pass for three times and then stopped.

I solved it in the following way:In /etc/init/networking.conf you add at the end: exec wicd

Then in a xterm you run wicd-client

The wireless works for me now.

Then you create a launcher to execute wicd and put it as an application to run at the begining.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Problem appeared for me in Meerkat

I had wireless working beautifully under Lucid, though not without a lot of difficulty getting there (see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...ianAlternative. But with Meerkat, I've gotten nowhere in defeating the "Bad Password" problem. One frustrating thing about it is that you can't really demonstrate that the password is valid, so it's reassuring to see that other folks have had the same problem.

I too am running wicd 1.7.0 and madwifi version 0.10.5.6-r4126-20100324. My laptop is an Asus K60.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Solved -- perhaps!

My wireless is working now! I uninstalled wicd and reinstalled Network Manager, which now works for me. The only minor hiccup was that I had to start the router connection explicitly, but then I found that I could get an automatic startup just by checking the box in the Network Manager controls.

I think that the problem lies in the latest version of wicd, which in the past has always worked well for me.

Beans

I have the same problem using 10.10. Gnome network manager was constantly disconnecting and reconnecting, so I installed wicd, getting the bad password error for a known good password. Then even gnome network manager stopped connecting using the same good password.

I uninstalled wicd trying to get back to the good old somewhat working state, but Gnome network manager still gives bad password error.

There needs to be a fix for this and SOON. I agree with the above posts that smoothly working wireless internet out of the box should be THE number one priority for any modern OS. Without it, you can't even do updates or internet searches to try to solve the problem.

update:

After writing that I rebooted into Ubuntu and now network-manager is able to connect. Perhaps wicd was still interfering somehow before the reboot. Here's hoping it will be able to hold the connection for more than a few minutes at a time.
    Last edited by Travis Currit; October 20th, 2010 at 10:17 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I just switched from a DLink 1310 rev D to a TP-Link WR941ND and I'm getting this error on my Arch Linux 2010.5 install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Currit View Post
    I have the same problem using 10.10. Gnome network manager was constantly disconnecting and reconnecting, so I installed wicd, getting the bad password error for a known good password. Then even gnome network manager stopped connecting using the same good password.

I uninstalled wicd trying to get back to the good old somewhat working state, but Gnome network manager still gives bad password error.

There needs to be a fix for this and SOON. I agree with the above posts that smoothly working wireless internet out of the box should be THE number one priority for any modern OS. Without it, you can't even do updates or internet searches to try to solve the problem.

update:

After writing that I rebooted into Ubuntu and now network-manager is able to connect. Perhaps wicd was still interfering somehow before the reboot. Here's hoping it will be able to hold the connection for more than a few minutes at a time.
    I have the same issue with NM disconnecting and reconencting my wifi at work about 10-15 times an hour. Very annoying during video conferences... So I tried wicd as instructed in other threads. Got the Bad Password with 1.7. Read the instruction to remove network-manager from console, no difference. Read that downgrading wicd to 1.6.1 would work. And it did, sort of. Now I get authenticated, but instead it won't obtain an IP. *sigh* Back to NM then...I should have gotten a mac like my co-workers suggested when I started here...

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I had the same problem.
    I didn't unlock the key ring when Network Manager asked (because I prefer wicd) and wicd didn't work.
    I unlocked the key ring and wicd works.
    I'd rather get rid of Network Manager but apparently I need it.
    lubuntu x86_64 desktop and also ubuntu-server on a raspberry pi

Beans

same problem for me, both WEP and WAP security would not log on to networks. Removed Network manager as explained here: http://www.pc-freak.net/blog/how-to-...rick-merkaaat/
    rebooted computer and logged on using wireless with no problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12