Thread: Move grub to differend hdd?

Beans

Move grub to differend hdd?

Hey, I installed the netbook version of Ubuntu on my desktop PC, since its system specs are low, and I wanted to try it. No problems with this, but, I need to move the grub bootloader to a differend hdd. Here's my setup:

sata-0: XP install
    sata-1: Vista Ultimate/Ubuntu Netbook install (Added Ubuntu after Vista)
    iPod Mini via USB: 'liveCD' equivalent with grub.

Basically I had XP and Vista on seperate hdd's, and had them both boot, and choose which OS via default mbr. Worked fine. I installed the Ubuntu netbook liveCD via a USB installer and booted to USB. I created a partition on my 1 TB Vista drive for Ubuntu and installed there. No problems as I'm typing this in Ubuntu, however grub somehow got installed on my iPod Mini (the click-wheel broke, so it's now an external hdd, in case you're wondering). All I need to do is move grub to my Vista/Ubuntu drive, so I can boot via grub without having to have the iPod plugged in and bootable. My main annoyance with my BIOS is that although it allows you to select which devices to boot from and in what order, it only allows you to do so within specific categories. For example, I can make SATA HDDs boot before IDE, but having two SATA drives, my BIOS won't let me specify WHICH SATA drive to boot first, so I have to disable one.

Any help would be much appreciated.

-p22dude

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Move grub to differend hdd?

You should be able to just use this command:
    Code:
    sudo grub-install --recheck /dev/<your Ubuntu drive>
    Example: sudo grub-install --recheck /dev/sdb

It will install the Grub folder in the current partition and write to the MBR of the drive you specify. Don't designate a partition.

After you run the command, I'd run "update-grub" just to make sure it finds Windows. Before rebooting, I'd inspect the RESULTS.txt file generated by the boot info script, which you can download from http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/

Added: Inspect your folders after you have run the grub-install command and make sure the /etc/grub.d folder and /etc/default/grub file exist on your Ubuntu partition. If they don't (and are on the external), install grub-common and grub-pc.
    Last edited by drs305; October 13th, 2010 at 02:06 AM.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

Re: Move grub to differend hdd?

Thanks to Drs305 for solving my similar problem, Colin.