Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Grub Rescue Prompt Megathread

Beans

Re: Grub Rescue Prompt Megathread

Alright drs305.

Here is the text I got from the RESULTS.txt:
    Code:
                    Boot Info Script 0.55    dated February 15th, 2010                    

============================= Boot Info Summary: ==============================

=> Grub 2 is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda and looks on the same drive in 
        partition #1 for (,msdos1)/boot/grub.

sda1: _________________________________________________________________________

File system:       ntfs
        Boot sector type:  Windows Vista/7
        Boot sector info:  No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
        Operating System:  
        Boot files/dirs:   /BOOTMGR /BOOT/BCD

sda2: _________________________________________________________________________

Operating System:  Windows 7
        Boot files/dirs:   /bootmgr /Boot/BCD /Windows/System32/winload.exe

sda3: _________________________________________________________________________

Operating System:  
        Boot files/dirs:   

=========================== Drive/Partition Info: =============================

Drive: sda ___________________ _____________________________________________________

Disk /dev/sda: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders, total 488397168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Partition  Boot         Start           End          Size  Id System

/dev/sda1               2,048    20,973,567    20,971,520  27 Hidden HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda2    *     20,973,568   254,683,135   233,709,568   7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda3         254,683,136   488,394,751   233,711,616   7 HPFS/NTFS

blkid -c /dev/null: ____________________________________________________________

Device           UUID                                   TYPE       LABEL                         

/dev/loop0                                              squashfs                                 
    /dev/sda1        7E4EF6DE4EF68DE1                       ntfs       PQSERVICE                     
    /dev/sda2        EC54DD9354DD60BE                       ntfs       OS                            
    /dev/sda3        2850CADC50CAAFBC                       ntfs       DATA                          
    /dev/sda: PTTYPE="dos" 

============================ "mount | grep ^/dev  output: ===========================

Device           Mount_Point              Type       Options

aufs             /                        aufs       (rw)
    /dev/sr0         /cdrom                   iso9660    (ro,noatime)
    /dev/loop0       /rofs                    squashfs   (ro,noatime)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Bernardusaurus,

Looking at your RESULTS.txt - There isn't any Ubuntu installation detected on any of the partitions. Grub is installed in the Master Boot Record but it looks for the files in the first Windows partition.

It doesn't see Ubuntu anywhere on the drive. Is it possible you installed it to another drive which is now disconnected?

For now, if you want, you can get your Windows booting again by booting to the Ubuntu LiveCD Desktop. Open a terminal via Applications, Accessories, Terminal. In the terminal, type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lilo
    It will ask for a password. Enter your password and press ENTER after you have typed it. You won't see the characters as you type.

It will give you some messages about fully installing lilo, but don't worry about that. Once it has installed, run this command. This will restore the MBR so you can boot Windows.

Code:
    sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbr
    Reboot. You will lose grub but you should get your Windows menu back.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

What do I do once I get the Windows menu back?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bernardusaurus View Post
    What do I do once I get the Windows menu back?
    If you don't have any other drives that Ubuntu could have been installed on, including USB drives, I suppose you would have to try to reinstall Ubuntu again. Do you remember having any problems with the installation? Grub was installed, which is why I suspected Ubuntu was installed on another drive which was not connected when you ran the boot info script.

If you have/had no other drives, I would recommend backing up your data and then shrinking your data (sda3) partition in Windows. Then create an extended partition, and within it create a logical partition for Ubuntu. It should end up as sda5. I would make it 10-15GB plus whatever space you would need for any data files you might want to save inside Ubuntu.

It would probably be best at this point to move the thread to a separate one of your own with a title related to your problem, such as "Ubuntu Installation Not Found" or something similar. I would be glad to do this if you want.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

You know what. I just realized that my 30g external harddrive that had ALL my music and ALL my pictures on it was the one that the computer defaulted to. So it's all there, but I'll just reinstall on the harddisk. I still have to do all that partition stuff when I just fresh reinstall it?

(Is there any way to get that stuff back? :\ )

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You know what. I just realized that my 30g external harddrive that had ALL my music and ALL my pictures on it was the one that the computer defaulted to. So it's all there, but I'll just reinstall on the harddisk. I still have to do all that partition stuff when I just fresh reinstall it?

(Is there any way to get that stuff back? :\ )
    I'm not a data recovery expert. If Ubuntu installed directly over your data files on the same partition I would guess there is very little chance of recovering the data. HOWEVER, if you have no backups of those files I would not write anything to that drive until you discuss this on the forum. The first thing to check is whether Ubuntu might have been installed on a separate partition from one or more of your data partitions.

With a fresh install on your main drive, if you choose to install Ubuntu side by side with Windows it should make space automatically from your Windows partition. Just be very cautious and confirm what Ubuntu wants to do before allowing it to change the existing partitions. If you allow Ubuntu to proceed as it wants, I believe it's going to look at the amount of free space on your sda3 partition and split it between Windows and the new (sda5) Ubuntu partition. It may or may not split it up the way you want.

If you don't like it, exit the installation, backup your important data on the Windows partition, and shrink the partition on your own. I'd recommend doing it with a Windows partitioning program, but GParted can do it as well.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

So I can't just have ubuntu and not have Windows? I HAVE TO HAVE Windows? All my important stuff was on the 30g. So the rest doesn't matter to me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

So I can't just have ubuntu and not have Windows? I HAVE TO HAVE Windows? All my important stuff was on the 30g. So the rest doesn't matter to me.
    No, absolutely you don't need Windows. If you want to get rid of all your Windows partitions you can tell Ubuntu to use the entire disk. I guess that is what you tried to do the first time.

Some people keep Windows installed just as a backup in case there is an app or game they want to play which won't run on Ubuntu. Grub2 can boot to both, so it's possible to keep your Windows install(s) if you wish - one, the other or both. But certainly if you want to wipe the entire drive that is easy enough to do.

As far as recovering your other drive, I'd make a thread and call it something like "Overwrote Data with Ubuntu Installation - Help!" or something similar. Perhaps someone can help out, but I think it will be a very difficult recovery effort. Perhaps Photorec can recover some or all of the files.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

You've been a great help, man. Thanks so much. If the grub thing happens again, it's cool to post here?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You've been a great help, man. Thanks so much. If the grub thing happens again, it's cool to post here?
    Yes, but specifically for grub rescue prompt issues (grub not booting) or if it pertains to what we've already discussed.

The disadvantage of not creating your own thread is that the title may not be specific to your actual problem. Plus many readers may bypass by a thread that already has a lot of responses - the thinking being either the problem is being worked on or possibly is not solvable.

The Ubuntu forum readers are a very helpful bunch. Searching earlier posts is generally very productive but if you need help, don't hesitate to ask!
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast