Thread: Can't Boot from USB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Can't Boot from USB

I've used UNetbootin to make a bootable USB of the new 10.10 Ubuntu Netbook Edition. Open trying to boot from it and passing the UNetbootin menu I get the error that "init" wasn't found. What is the problem here?

Just in case, I checked the .iso with MD5SUM and it all checks out.
    - Stay Gold

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Can't Boot from USB

This is a known issue. Use Startup Disk Creator instead. It also has an issue, but it can be fixed with editing a file.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1592204

Using GParted to Format a USB Stick »
    Fixing USB Install Issues with Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat
    Published on October 7, 2010 in Ubuntu. 2 Comments Tags: bootlogo, fix, gfxboot, maverick meerkat, ubuntu, ui, unknown keyword in configuration file.

This morning, I attempted to install Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat from a USB drive but received an error message to my disdain. After using the USB Startup Disk Creator to create a bootable USB installer, I rebooted only to be confronted with the following fatal error message: “Unknown keyword in configuration file”. Here’s a fix for it (thanks to JackNocturne):

NOTE: This has only been tested and reported as working on the 32-bit version of Ubuntu 10.10. Compatibility issues have been reported with the 64-bit version.

1. Using the USB Startup Disk Creator, make a bootable USB disk with the latest Ubuntu 10.10 .ISO.
    2. Once the process is complete, browse to the root directory of the USB disk, click on the /syslinux folder, and open the file entitled syslinux.cfg.
    3. Using a text/code editor, find the line:
    ui gfxboot bootlogo
    4. Change it to:
    gfxboot bootlogo
    5. Save the file and reboot to test — it should work now.
    |