Thread: flash plugin for Maverick

wpshooter is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

flash plugin for Maverick

What is the name for the Adobe Flash plugin for Maverick ?

I don't seem to see it under the same name that it has been listed under previous versions of Ubuntu.

Thanks.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: flash plugin for Maverick

I had to reinstall it after installing Maverick, and I just found it by trying to open a YouTube video. It told me I needed to install Flash and gave me about three choices of plugins to install, just by clicking a link that showed up on the YouTube page. I chose the one from Adobe and it installed and worked with no further problems.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans
    Distro

Re: flash plugin for Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    I had to reinstall it after installing Maverick, and I just found it by trying to open a YouTube video. It told me I needed to install Flash and gave me about three choices of plugins to install, just by clicking a link that showed up on the YouTube page. I chose the one from Adobe and it installed and worked with no further problems.

Tim
    Is this the preferred way of doing this ?

Under the older versions of Ubuntu, there was what I thought was a Ubuntu supplied Flash Plugin under Synaptic.

Why is that not still there ?

Thanks.

Beans

Have you enabled the universe/multiverse repositories in the new install?

I see it just fine:

$ apt-cache search flash | grep ^flash
    flashplugin-installer - Adobe Flash Player plugin installer
    flashplugin-nonfree - Adobe Flash Player plugin installer (transitional package)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

In a regular installation I would think universe and multiverse would be enabled by default (they were on a fresh 10.10 beta install weeks ago and previous Ubuntu versions).

But I noticed no flash (or restricted-extras) when I used Startup Disk Creator to put release iso with persistent data on bootable USB flash, until I checked the boxes in Synaptic settings to enable universe/multiverse. So after installing ubuntu-restricted-extras and the thing for DVD's, I now have 64-bit 10.10 release iso on USB flash that can do flash and play DVD's.

I didn't put real 64-bit flash on that because that might not work on my early Athlon64 3200+ that lacks the lahf_lm instruction. But I have 64-bit flash (10.2 r161) on USB hard drives (Lucid and Maverick) that run on newer desktop or laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I prefer just to use ubuntu-restricted-extras to start an install.
    Here is flash in Ubuntu software center if that is what you wanted.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Remember hence where you come and pass it down.
    Ubuntu Forums member #899097 and Ubuntu Member:

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy999 View Post
    Have you enabled the universe/multiverse repositories in the new install?

I see it just fine:

$ apt-cache search flash | grep ^flash
    flashplugin-installer - Adobe Flash Player plugin installer
    flashplugin-nonfree - Adobe Flash Player plugin installer (transitional package)
    I looked for Flash and several other plugins just after I did the initial installation and update manager of Marverick and I could NOT find a listing for the plugins.

The only thing that I know that I changed after that was the setting for getting backport updates. I shutdown the computer after that for the night.

But this morning when I booted again, and after I polled for updates and there were some relating to a new version of the kernel, which I downloaded and applied, and when I went back into Synaptic and looked for the various plugins, Flash, etc. now they were there.

What made these show up all of a sudden when I could not find them initially ?

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

When I did a fresh install yesterday, I recall it asking me if I wanted 3rd party repo w/flash and I checked the box and it continued with the Maverick install
    (Was)Windows Free At Last
    "May You Have A Safe Trip and A Successful Journey"
    Linux user #432153 Ubuntu user #8521

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by DougieFresh4U View Post
    When I did a fresh install yesterday, I recall it asking me if I wanted 3rd party repo w/flash and I checked the box and it continued with the Maverick install
    Doug:

Did you do the install from Live CD or from Alternate ?

I did mine (as I usually do) from the Alternate. Did not see any such prompt.

Thanks.

Beans

Wink Re: flash plugin for Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by wpshooter View Post
    Is this the preferred way of doing this ?

Under the older versions of Ubuntu, there was what I thought was a Ubuntu supplied Flash Plugin under Synaptic.

Why is that not still there ?

Thanks.
    I am pretty sure it is NOT the preferred way of doing it, but it was quick, easy, and effective.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit