Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu is not ready for prime time

Beans

Ubuntu is not ready for prime time

Dear Ubuntu,

I think you are not ready for me or the mass. Here are the reasons why:

1. Installation bugs and quirks
    The USB installation method is picky on what kind of flash drive I use. For some flash device, it works straight away and installation proceeds as per normal. But some others, it gets stuck at the boot screen showing this line: "Syslinux 4.02 2010-07-21 EDD Copyright (C) 1994-2010 H. Peter Anwin et Al"

2. Graphical issues
    I guess the installer failed to detect the graphics card used in the laptop. Mine is a Sony Vaio Y with Core i3 UM. So it just shows blank screen while outputting the display to an external monitor. I have to connect to a monitor through the VGA cable. Installation complete, great!! But after first boot, I tried to change the display setting to output to the laptop screen instead. Both screens go blank and I have to do a hard reset.

3. It just does not work
    Ubuntu has a different philosophy when it comes to third party software installation. For windows and mac, I just download the application and basically click through a series of steps through the installation and it's done! Simple and intuitive. Ubuntu, on the other hand, is going backwards in user friendliness because users need run commands to install specific applications. Sudo, apt, blah blah blah are too technical and simply unneeded. Of course, we can use the software center to do the same. But it is still not as convenient as it is on windows or mac.

It has been a frustrating experience just to install and get it running. Judging from questions user ask in the forum, the general feeling is that many users experience different kinds of problems. In fact, it should be branded as beta software due to the many bugs and issues that are yet to be fixed.

I believe Ubuntu needs to modernize itself. There is hardly any significant change in this edition. In fact, Ubuntu from 4.10 to 10.10 anchors itself in its linux root and debian, and such anchoring in past legacy prevents itself from doing a paradigm shift towards modernity.

Regards,
    Carboto

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu is not ready for prime time

I think this belongs in the Testimonial and Experiences Forum.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

it's good thing we are all entitled to our own opinions.

My 10months of Ubuntu experience is pretty much completely opposite of what you have said.

Bummer.
    Just not mine. lol
    5.5 GB's Free Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage~
    Click Here

pricetech is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

In before move to recurring.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Gray_Wolf View Post
    No, it belongs in the stupid bin(or at least this part does):

Quote Originally Posted by carboto View Post
    3. It just does not work
    Ubuntu has a different philosophy when it comes to third party software installation. For windows and mac, I just download the application and basically click through a series of steps through the installation and it's done! Simple and intuitive. Ubuntu, on the other hand, is going backwards in user friendliness because users need run commands to install specific applications. Sudo, apt, blah blah blah are too technical and simply unneeded. Of course, we can use the software center to do the same. But it is still not as convenient as it is on windows or mac.
    If you'd done just a little bit of exploration in the menus, asked here on the forums, OR READ THE INSTALLATION SLIDESHOW, you'd know that all software installation is handled through the Software Center, which involves no work in the terminal.

The rest does indeed belong in the Testimonials subforum though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by NCLI View Post
    No, it belongs in the stupid bin(or at least this part does):

If you'd done just a little bit of exploration in the menus, asked here on the forums, OR READ THE INSTALLATION SLIDESHOW, you'd know that all software installation is handled through the Software Center, which involves no work in the terminal.
    haha, Touche'. <3
    5.5 GB's Free Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage~
    Click Here

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Rasa1111 View Post
    haha, Touche'. <3
    Thank you

We are all entitled to our own opinions, as long as we remember that some opinions are actually worth more than others. In this case, the opinion that it's hard to install software in Ubuntu is rubbish

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Gray_Wolf View Post
    Done!
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

The "mass" tends to be stupid. In that sense, there is NO operating system ready for it. Or have you ever seen a windows install without problems? I haven't.

Keep complaining instead of doing your own learning and you will remain part of the (stupid) mass.

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

1. Installation bugs and quirks
    I can't get Fedora or SUSE to install due to bugs and quirks.

2. Graphical issues
    I've had those with other distributions too.

3. It just does not work
    It's the only distribution that I can say does work - each and every time I have installed it, unlike several others that I've quickly abandoned or retried later. My Lucid installation is fine. I have just one application in Maverick that doesn't work due to a video driver problem. Not too bad I think.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast