Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Serval Professional (Serp6): Fans, Suspend, and Hibernate

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Serval Professional (Serp6): Fans, Suspend, and Hibernate

I just recently purchase the Serval Professional (Serp6) laptop from System76. For the most part, everything has been smooth (aside from the issue with the 64-bit ATI drivers that was a problem with a change in the upstream kernel that the ATI PPA developers made a fix recently for). I am having a few issues I'd hope could be addressed:

1. The fans run constantly, even though the I'm running the CPU Freq Scaling applets on the panel and have it set to "On Demand" which clocks down the CPU's to 933 MHz (53% of full speed). Is there a way to get the fans to run less? On my previous System 76 Model (PanV3) the Fan would only run full on (where I could really hear it), when the CPU's were running full-out.

2. Suspend and Hibernate don't seem to work. There is some sort of error about disconnecting from USB and it never fully hibernates. Any ideas what the problem might be?

3. The touch-pad is kinda hokey. I looked into it and the model that is installed does not support side/bottom vertical/horizontal scrolling. Instead, it has some kind of weird tap the corners thing to scroll vertically. Is there any way to improve this situation to have better functionality out of the touch-pad?

Any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated.

****** SOLVED THE HIBERNATE ISSUE / Touch Pad issue was misunderstanding how the Syntellic Touchpad worked, Fan issue solved (see responses in this thread *******

I've manged to solve my Hibernate problem finally. I did not follow your advice as I did not have time that I could afford to fiddling with it and the specific advice you were giving didn't seem to make sense to me (sorry).

That being said, I finaly got some time to spend on it and started googling around. I felt that the problem was somehow related to the size of my swap partition. I was thinking that maybe it needed to be block aligned or something like that (it was confirmed to be significantly large than RAM, so should have been sufficient for hibernate to work properly).

Googling around led me to this article (referencing Ubuntu 8.04) that seemed relevanthttp://kerneltrap.org/node/22793,

This seemed to make sense and so I did the following:

** 1. edited /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume to have the same UUID as the UUID for my swap partition from /etc/fstab
    ** 2. ran the following command (as described in the above article):*sudo update-initramfs -u

I then clicked the "Hibernate" option and waited for the system to hibernate and power off. I then booted up and everything came back correctly from hibernate. Problem solved, YAY!

Now, this happened because I resized the hibernate partition (made it bigger) by booting with live CD and resizing partitions because I thought that was why hibernate wasn't working originally (when I first bought this laptop from you); however, going back and reviewing the forums and my e-mails to you, I can see that at around the same time, you fixed an issue with the System76 drivers that fixed the hibernate issue. Unfortunately, because I had resized the swap partition myself trying to fix the issue, once your driver was fixed I was still broken (because the partition resize changed the UUID of the swap partition). I knew to update the UUID in /etc/fstab, but, I had never heard of this /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume configuration.

Well, so that is the whole story. Hope this helps other customers you may have that may be experiencing a similar issue. If nothing else, it might be something worth adding to the knowledge base.

YAY! :D:D:D YAY! :KS:KS:KS :popcorn::popcorn:
    http://kerneltrap.org/node/22793
    Last edited by gbutler69; February 22nd, 2011 at 05:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Serval Professional (Serp6): Fans, Suspend, and Hibernate

Hi.

1. That's actually a know BIOS issue. We're working on getting it fixed up. For now, touching the "M" light above the keyboard should scale the ran back.

2. This is the second issue we've seen with suspend / hibernate on the SerP6. I think this is becoming a known issue as well.

3. The touchpad is actually not a synaptic model like those found in most other laptops. It's a sentellic model. I'm not sure if what you wanted is possible with the hardware, but you can install a configuration utility by following the instructions here: http://knowledge76.com/index.php/Serp6. Look under "Touchpad Configuration".
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

On #2, did you do a fresh install of 10.10? If so, there is a known issue with Ubuntu not creating a large enough swap partition to accommodate hibernate.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by thomasaaron View Post
    On #2, did you do a fresh install of 10.10? If so, there is a known issue with Ubuntu not creating a large enough swap partition to accommodate hibernate.
    No, I have not yet upgraded to 10.10 or done a fresh install. I'm still running the 10.04 it came with. Any other ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    Hi.

1. That's actually a know BIOS issue. We're working on getting it fixed up. For now, touching the "M" light above the keyboard should scale the ran back.

2. This is the second issue we've seen with suspend / hibernate on the SerP6. I think this is becoming a known issue as well.

3. The touchpad is actually not a synaptic model like those found in most other laptops. It's a sentellic model. I'm not sure if what you wanted is possible with the hardware, but you can install a configuration utility by following the instructions here: http://knowledge76.com/index.php/Serp6. Look under "Touchpad Configuration".
    Thanks for the answers. For clarification:

1. What is the "M" and "W" buttons/lights at the top of the keyboard. I see them on my keyboard, I just had no idea what they are for.

2. Does the suspend/hibernate have anything to do with USB3 perhaps? Thought I read something about that somewhere.

3. Will the 10.10 upgrade perhaps make this situation better (i.e. the new Gesture support etc.)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by gbutler69 View Post
    I just recently purchase the Serval Professional (Serp6) laptop from System76.

2. Suspend and Hibernate don't seem to work. There is some sort of error about disconnecting from USB and it never fully hibernates. Any ideas what the problem might be?
    I have also just purchased a Serval Pro, delivered last week with 10.10 installed. The Suspend and Hibernate on my computer also don't seem to work. I assumed (wrongly) that I was going to be able simply to close the lid on the machine and bring it home (I have it set to suspend on closure), but it rode home still powered on.

This wouldn't be so bad, but when I open the lid after closing it, the machine is hung, and I have to "hard reset" by holding the power button down. Don't like to do that, of course.

I also tried Hibernate and Suspend from the power menu - both had the same effect of freezing the machine.

Help?! Is there any hope of this being fixed? I really don't want to have to actually go the route of shutdown every time I want to move my machine from home to work and back.
    Todd Pedlar
    Dept. of Physics
    Luther College
    Decorah, IA

Beans

I'm with you here. I have started a similar thread but have been unsuccessful. You might want to check out what I've done as well although no one, including System 76 support, seems to have a solution.

http://fostergrant.ubuntuforums.org/....php?t=1578722

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have one with the Nvidia card on Lucid and it seems to work. Am I correct in assuming this is caused by 10.10 or does it have something to do with the ATI card?

I am looking to upgrade to get trim support for my SSD drive, but if I am going to loose hibernate, I will wait.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I just got my new Serval last week, and I can say it's not exclusive to those with an ATI video card. I have the new one with the Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M, and I can't get hibernate and suspend to work either.

It's not a huge deal for me, but I would be interested if anyone finds a solution.

Beans

I'm not feeling so bad about immediately removing the default install since suspend doesn't seem to work for anyone else either.

I wish we could just get some hardware specs on this and we could just fix it ourselves. What are the "quirks" settings or extra modules we need to compile into the kernel? I'm willing to do it (and I have tried quite a few options already) but I have no idea which ones to use because I can't seem to identify the hardware itself.

I already have to compile and install the wireless card modules separately. If I knew which ones I needed for suspend to work, I could do those too

If anyone else has a made recent purchase of a Serval Professional and suspend is not working, they all should post that here because it needs to be fixed. The System 76 guys are on this forum and they will see it. It seems to be a fairly widespread problem.

I also have the Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M and I am running Ubuntu and Slackware on my Serval Pro.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast