Thread: kernel headers for kernel 2.6.32-24-generic cannot be found

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

kernel headers for kernel 2.6.32-24-generic cannot be found

hi,

I upgraded from Lucid to 10.10 today,

I had installed Kubuntu desktop from the synaptic in Lucid (earlier) and then upgraded from within KUBUNTU,

after the upgrade my grub menu (I use a dual boot with Vista) shows that I am using
    kernel 2.6.32-24

but actually all the headers were removed during the upgrade

when I tried to "dpkg --configure -a" after the upgrade it shows:

warning, in file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 52092 package 'virtualbox-3.1':
    error in Version string '3.1.6-59338_Ubuntu_karmic': invalid character in revision number
    warning, in file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 52093 package 'virtualbox-3.1':
    error in Config-Version string '3.1.6-59338_Ubuntu_karmic': invalid character in revision number
    warning, in file '/var/lib/dpkg/available' near line 66890 package 'virtualbox-3.1':
    error in Version string '3.1.6-59338_Ubuntu_karmic': invalid character in revision number

and when I try this...(since my graphics was broken)sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r) I get this following error..

Error! Your kernel headers for kernel 2.6.32-24-generic cannot be found at
    /lib/modules/2.6.32-24-generic/build or /lib/modules/2.6.32-24-generic/source.

also I cannot open any folders because once I click them it directs me to the archive manager and says that this type of archive is not supported

can anyone help....

I am not sure if I am posting in the correct place, and without help I think I will be lost...

thanks,
    siby.

Hi
    sorry for being impatient and posting in a rush,

I later found out the problem, my Grub "menu.lst" was not showing the new kernel 2.6.35- so I did a "update-grub" following this thread
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1527492

and later edited the updated grub menu.lst to automatically show up at the begining following

http://www.easy-ubuntu-linux.com/grub-menu-visible.html

now the system is working fine, although the KDE graphics are broken, hope to solve it by an update.
    thanks,
    siby.
    Last edited by sibyphilips; October 11th, 2010 at 02:24 AM. Reason: solved