Thread: unison vs freefilesync vs dirsync pro vs synkron

Beans

unison vs freefilesync vs dirsync pro vs synkron

Hi,

I have a home server that houses all my files accessible over SSHFS.

I am looking for a tool that can bidirectionally sync the Documents Folder on the server with the one on my netbook, so that I can keep my work-flow up to date on both regularly. (the directory in question contains mostly MSOffice files and a few PDFs. It is about 1.5GB in size, most of which never changes.

From what Ive read all the apps I mention will do the trick. Which would you recommend I use and why?

Note: I am leaning towards Unison, as it seems to have good SSH support which is important (as I often have to synchronize away from my LAN). Do the other three have any speed/feature advantages which I would be missing in Unison?

Thanx!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: unison vs freefilesync vs dirsync pro vs synkron

Dropbox works for me.
    It integrates with nautilus.
    You can keep your files "private", or generate a publishable link to them. Up to 2GB is free.
    Link: Dropbox
    It is not open-source

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by dafreez View Post
    Hi,

I have a home server that houses all my files accessible over SSHFS.

I am looking for a tool that can bidirectionally sync the Documents Folder on the server with the one on my netbook, so that I can keep my work-flow up to date on both regularly. (the directory in question contains mostly MSOffice files and a few PDFs. It is about 1.5GB in size, most of which never changes.

From what Ive read all the apps I mention will do the trick. Which would you recommend I use and why?

Note: I am leaning towards Unison, as it seems to have good SSH support which is important (as I often have to synchronize away from my LAN). Do the other three have any speed/feature advantages which I would be missing in Unison?

Thanx!
    Unison is basically a nice front end for rsync, I use it and it does the job for me and it has command line options that you can put in cron jobs.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by dcstar View Post
    Unison is basically a nice front end for rsync, I use it and it does the job for me and it has command line options that you can put in cron jobs.
    it isnt a front-end for rsync, but it is very similar. i too use unison and it runs fine. occasionally you get conflicts if it cant decide which version of a file is the newest (if you've made changes on two systems at the same time) but if you're the only user it probably won't happen. when a conflict does happen it tells you about it and doesn't lose either version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've been happy with Unison for years. In the past I've used it with a FAT memory stick to carry my working files between a home Linux and work Windows system. Unison also runs on Windows. These days I use it to sync my desktop and Laptop working files over Wifi mounting with NFS, both systems running Ubuntu.
    Thank a veteran -- George 8)
    Internet Coach & Writer
    Personal Blog -- 3 Joes' Blog

Beans

Thanks for the feedback. Guess Ill go with Unison.